a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, July 6, 2012

What you need to know about Bible Prophecy - A book review



For BookSneeze, my current book to review was What You Need to Know About Bible Prophecy, 12 Lessons That Can Change Your Life by Max Anders

This book is part of a series called What you Need to Know Series of at least 10 other books with titles such as What you Need to Know About God and What you Need to Know about Jesus among other topics related to the Bible, salvation, spiritual growth, spiritual warfare, etc. 

It is the first book I have read written by Mr. Anders, but I will definitely be checking out other books he has authored.

What You Need to Know About Bible Prophecy is broken up in 12 chapters with different topics relative to why Bible prophecy should be studied, different opinions scholars have about the second coming of Jesus, final days prophecies, the Rapture, etc. Each chapter has a list of questions at the end of the chapter that reviews what is written to make sure the reader has grasped the concepts of the chapter, in addition to questions that can be discussed in a small group setting at a church or fellowship time, as well as additional references for further study. It could easily be used for a Bible study curriculum with minimal participation on the part of the leader of the group.

It is a very easy book to read and even if you are a new believer to the Christian faith or one that has walked many years with Jesus or even someone curious about Christianity and the Bible, you will be able to read this book and understand the concepts presented in clear and concise ways.

Without giving too much away about the book, I had several favorite quotes he used in the book, one was how he said why the Bible doesn't say much about what heaven will be like. He describes it as a child having a plate of broccoli placed in front of them to eat but down the table he sees a chocolate cake. God doesn't want to reveal too much of how wonderful heaven is right now to us who are still eating broccoli. I thought that was pretty good analogy.

But my most favorite part of the book was when Mr. Anders is talking about death in Chapter 8 of the book. He describes death in a new way that I had not really thought of. We tend to think of death as a terrible thing, a sad thing, a painful thing because it separates us from those we love. But I hadn't really thought of it this way, as he writes in page 126 of the book:

"It is through death that we are finally completed in our union with Christ (Romans 8:22-23). Physical death is a wonderful gift. Without it, we would have to live eternally in sin-corrupted bodies. So, regardless of what causes our death, the actual process of dying is the closing of our eyes in this world and a moment later opening them in that far, far better world - a world where all that is not good is excluded and all that is good is included, and where we will live with our Lord forever. No problem with that."

I had to stop and read that a couple times. While I don't necessarily want to die in this season of my life, it also gave a new perspective about death.

There are other such gems in this book to think about, meditate about and take comfort about in the coming days when one takes the time to study Bible prophecy.

I would highly recommend the book.  As part of agreeing to read the book and provide an  honest review about it, I received a complimentary copy of this book.

16 comments:

jack69 said...

Prophecy is something that can turn folks off to the christian faith if handled roughly, or jammed down someone's throat.

I like to read when a person has some common sense ability, as you are pointing out.


Good stuff and of course a good review blog.

Thanks.

Shelly said...

Thatsounds like areally good book. I love the broccoli analogy~

Hollie said...

Sounds like abook I might need to read!! Never thought about death or heaven in the manner!!

Linda said...

For some people prophecy is frightening because they don't understand what it is...This sounds like an excellent book for them. I have always thought that for a Christian death is wonderful--it is those of left behind who mourn and are grieving.

Rob-bear said...

I'm always troubled about books on prophesy, because I often feel writers are reading things into the stores that are not there.

I've though a lot about death, because I have done so many funerals during my ministry. Death is both departure and release. And often hard for people to cope with when someone close to them dies.

Janice's footsteps said...

ONCE AGAIN A GREAT REVIEW THAT LEAVES ME WANTING TO CHECK THIS OUT ESPECIALLY FOR MY STUDY GROUP. THANKS BETTY :))

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I just watched a Barbara Walters special on Heaven last night and so it was interesting reading your book review this morning. So true that we are not meant to see the whole picture. I think that we are meant to live a life of faith and trust.

Lynn Proctor said...

sounds good!

MEM Reel said...

Since prophecy is one of my favorite subjects, I am looking forward to reading this book.

Dee said...

Hi, I was delighted find a new follower of my humble little blog..In return I am following you and look forward to visiting with you. Dee

vanilla said...

I have long believed that we know almost nothing about what heaven will be like; it is beyond human imagination. I like the broccoli analogy.

What was it the Apostle Paul said? "To die is gain."

SweetMarie said...

sounds good! Have a great week!

Caroline said...

Sounds like a really good read thanks for sharing <3

notes4neta said...

I'm looking forward to heaven; the way I look at it is, it's a place where we are 100% fully who we were created to be. That's bound to be awesome and satisfying!

JosephAlsarraf said...

Interesting book, great review!
: )

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It sounds like a wonderful book and series. I use to pray for God to take me first before my children. Isn't that the perfect plan? Then when I was in a bible study group I asked if I was being selfish. If heaven is so perfect and wonderful wouldn't I want my children to be there since our world is such a mess? Obviously I want to die before they do, I can't help but be a little selfish in that matter but I don't pray about it because I know God has everything planned out as it should be.