a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, June 18, 2012

Wildflowers from Winter - Book Review



For Blogging for Books through Waterbrook Multnomah.com, I chose Wildflowers from Winter by Katie Ganshert

This is the first book I have read authored by Katie Ganshert, who writes stores about finding faith and falling in love.  In this book, she definitely kept to her theme in a truly delightful story to read.

You can take a sneak preview here and read chapter one of the book and I guarantee the book will catch your interest from the very beginning that you will want to keep reading.

Bethany Quinn, the main female character in the book, tried to drown herself when she was 12 years old. That is how the story begins with her recollection of it but we do not find out why she tried to until later on in the book. What we do learn as we continue to read the story is that she was very eager to leave the town she grew up in, the Peaks, and to basically never return to it after she turned eighteen, to put her past behind her, including her best friend from the time, Robin.

Ten years later, a successful architect living in Chicago, very close to the Peaks, she is confronted with her past through a series of tragedies that has her returning to the Peaks and reuniting with her best friend who is dealing with the sudden, unexpected death of her young husband. Intermixed with this is Bethany's beloved grandfather who passes on during this time and leaves her and his farm hand, turned friend, his farm, she gets left a portion of it, the farm hand, Evan, gets left another portion of it.

As the story develops, Bethany is torn with what to do with the farm, her career that she depended on came to an end, a relationship she had in Chicago comes to an end too, she is left with lots of questions what to do, a nonexistent faith in God and haunted by events from her past. Ms. Ganshert weaves the story together intricately, a bit predictable, but with everything working out well at the end with Bethany coming to discover her faith and to start her own relationship with God.

I enjoyed the book very much. It did catch my interest from the first page and held it through the rest of the book. The story carried the struggles of life, indecision, wonder, doubt, sadness, grief, hope, joy, peace, love interwoven with the main characters in the book. I found myself crying over the events in the last few chapters of the book, but when I finished the last paragraph, there was much resolution in the story and much hope ahead, perhaps even of a sequel down the road.

All in all, a very good read; I would recommend it highly.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

18 comments:

notes4neta said...

I've never heard of this author. The book sounds interesting!

Janice's footsteps said...

NEW AUTHOR TO ME ALSO BUT ONCE AGAIN YOU MADE ME WANT TO READ THIS DUE TO YOUR GREAT ABILITY TO REVIEW WITHOUT GIVING IT ALL AWAY :))
LOVE THE NEW BENCH PICTURE BETTY...HAVE A BLESSED WEEK :)

Shelly said...

I love a book with a satisfying, well resolved ending. Thanks for the recommendation!

TARYTERRE said...

A GOOD read and a GOOD cry soothe the soul. Liked your review.

BelovedBomber said...

Sounds good...like one of those girly movies I like to watch. Maybe I will grab it for a summer read. Thanks

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Sounds like a good read ... I'm always on the lookout for good books, so I think I'll be adding this one to my list. ;-)

Lynn Proctor said...

this sounds really good---i love the title!!

Dana said...

I love books that hint at a sequel, especially after I've become invested in the charactes.

Nice review!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a story I would love to read. I have never read anything by her. Thank you for the review.

SweetMarie said...

I love the title and the cover! Good review!

Blondee said...

Oh, a chick flick in the making! I've never read this author before but will have to look for her now. :)

Chatty Crone said...

Sounds like a good book! sandie

jack69 said...

You have a great ability for a 'book report', you must have gotten an A for your book reports!!!

Love from this side. You make the book live.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Ooooo, sounds like a good mystery, would love to read, have to finish all of those other books though.
: )

Jane said...

That looks like a good one! Since I'm back in to a reading mode, I am going to check it out...just wondering if I can find it at my library.

Tamera Brose said...

I need books to read on my trip. Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, is that a new picture on your blog of the bench?

Linda B. said...

Redemption, love it! Not to mention a wide range of emotions. Although I don't read many novels, I do enjoy your book reviews!

Karen Greenberg said...

This sounds great. I put it on my list to check out from the library.