a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, June 4, 2012

Skip Rock Shallows - Book Review



As part of the Tyndale Blogging Book Review, I picked Skip Rock Shallows by Jan Watson to read and review.  As part of receiving a free copy of the book, I agreed to read it in its entirely and to do a review of what I thought about the book on my blog; even if it was an unfavorable review of the book.

I had not read any of Ms. Watson's books before but I do believe this particular novel was her six one published. It is a fictional account of Lilly Gray Corbett who recently graduated from medical school and is just beginning her career as a physician.  That in itself is an accomplishment, but the story is not set in modern times, but in 1908 when it was not a popular thing for a woman to be a doctor. Add to it is the fact that she accepts a temporary assignment in a coaling mining town to hopefully add in her experience. The doctor she hoped she would train with dies before she gets to her assignment so she is now the doctor for the town.

As would be expected, she is not eagerly accepted in the town; the miners want nothing to do with her and especially don't want her to go into the mines which I think is a superstition on their part to have a women be in there. Over time she warms up to them and becomes more accepted within the community, especially as she uses the skills she trained for in her medical career. Also, it is discovered she is a cousin to one of the other families there, thus making her more accepted.

Lilly has a fiancee, another fellow doctor who decided to pursue his career in Boston. His intent is for her after she does her three month stint in Skip Rock Shallows to come and practice with him. That is her intent until she realizes she truly does love the people of the town, the challenges doctoring presents in such a town and a mysterious stranger she has a few encounters with in town that proves to be a significant part of her past history involved with a traumatic event she lived through as a child. 

Without giving too much away about the plot or any spoilers, I did enjoy the writing of the book, but it was very predictable in how it ended. Although there were some twists and turns in the plot, one could see that it would end the way it ended with Lilly making the choices she did on where she chose to further her career and live out her life.

Skip Rock Shallows is a book you could take with you to the beach on vacation, or on a plane, reading it in the airport or at a doctor's office where you would enjoy the story but you could still be aware of what is going on around you. It is light reading fiction. Something you could read while keeping an eye on the kids at the park or at the public pool.

It is Christian fiction and it does talk about faith and several scripture references, but it is not inundated with it so that if a nonbeliever or one not familiar with God would be uncomfortable reading it. It could also be a good starting point for someone interested in learning more about God to consider going to church or perhaps picking up the Bible to read.

I would recommend the book for light easy reading like I mentioned above. It is a good story, predictable like I said, but will hold one's interest as you read through the pages.

17 comments:

Shelly said...

This sounds like the perfect summer read. Thanks for the info~

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVED the review and appreciated that you didn't give important parts of the story away. Sounds like a GOOD read, predictable or not. Take care.

Lynn Proctor said...

i think i will recommend this to a friend who is on summer break from medical school--thanks!!

Dana said...

This sounds like a good book for me to take along when we go on vacation this summer. Nice review!

jack69 said...

I will be on the look out for the book. I actually like predictable books, as long as they are not boring.
Good review, and the author and publisher should be very happy with it. Predictability is not BAD!

Love from this side of the country.

Marianne said...

Let us know when you've read something really juicy. I'm looking for complete trash this summer!

Big Mark 243 said...

LOL @ Marianne! I could NOT imagine you reading anything like she suggests, but that is okay, I can't imagine a LOT of things!!

SweetMarie said...

Good review! I've just started a good book.

Rob-bear said...

A good review. Makes the book sound interesting.

JOHN said...

I think I will get a copy for a good friend.She is 89 years young and loves to read,Thank you for the review

JosephAlsarraf said...

That book looks interesting. I like books set in the late 18 to early 1900's. It's fun to see how people lived back then. Speaking of the 1800's, how did they survive the summers in Houston without air conditioners?

Great review, I enjoyed reading it!
: )

Toriz said...

Sounds interesting.

Judy said...

I love light easy reading, so maybe I'll have to pick it up! Thanks for the tip!

Martha said...

I love how you described this book, you really are a great book reviewer Betty! Sounds like a good one to keep in my purse while on the go.

Farida said...

Great review! With your job at hand, it is wonderful for you to still review a book and read it uninterruptedly :P

I prefer this type of books wherein you don't have to go read the entire chapter because the content is very heavy. Have a great week ahead, Ms Betty!

Deanna said...

I've read a few books like that... easy reading, predictable outcome. But sometimes that is all the mind wants to tackle! Good review

Blondee said...

Very nice review, sounds like a good quick read.

We made Amish friendship bread, have you ever made it?