a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Yay!!!


Linking up with Cate this week for 6-Word Saturday; basically describing something going on in six words (you can expound about it more in your post if you want.)

Here's mine for this week:

YAY, A WEEK OFF FROM WORK!

After I finish my shift Saturday afternoon, I'm off for a week! Not going anywhere, I guess they call these stay-cations, but I'll TAKE IT!

The majority of the time I've taken off the last couple years has either involved a move, or helping someone else to move (son), planning and executing an estate sale, or funerals.

Plus I work this really weird schedule that I'm not fond of but I have no one to blame but myself because I was the one that set it up.

I work Monday through Thursdays 8:30 to 5, Friday 8:30 to 12:30, Saturday 9 to 1; total of 40 hours, but over six days not five days. Though Friday and Saturday are half days, especially now with our mandatory overtime, which adds an hour every day to all my shifts, there's just not a lot of time on those days for downtime or to get things done, etc. I've tried to get my schedule changed to five days on, two days off but haven't been too successful.

Plus I don't routinely get off the holidays, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's. If that is the day I'm scheduled to work, regardless if it is a holiday or not, I need to work the shift if I haven't asked for it off and not everyone can be off on every given holiday because reports for patient care need to be generated. I rarely ask for a holiday off so I've worked them all, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. Its okay, someone has to work them and we can work our holiday celebrations around work schedules.

So next week is the first week in two years its just "time off". Not time off to move or work, but just relax.

Also a week to get some things done, eyes checked, hair cut, need to shop for some new shoes, etc.

But a week for fun, hubby and me are going to see the Titanic exhibit at one of the local museums, looking forward to that. Having lunch with my niece. Splurging a bit and eating a few more meals out.

Blogging.

Reading a few books I'm doing reviews on.

Blogging.

Maybe taking an afternoon nap (or two).

Blogging.

Trying out a few new recipes I've been collecting.

Blogging.

Spoiling (more) Koda.

Blogging.

(is there a theme here, LOL :)

The week will zoom by, but it will be a fun one!

Have a great weekend!

(to check out more entries or participate yourself, click here)

43 comments:

Dana said...

Enjoy your staycation!

Six-word Saturday sounds great. Maybe I'll try it next week. :)

Autumn said...

Enjoy!

Fi said...

Staycation - love this word. Your staycation sounds just like what I need, blogging, reading and napping - now there's some appealing tasks. Hope you enjoy your break!

Toriz said...

Yay for having a week off! :)

Karen S. said...

Hooray for your week off! A double hooray for being able to make a list and stick to it! Enjoy!

Brenda Youngerman said...

I love staycations! So... do you plan on spending any time blogging???
Have a great weekend and a great week off

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope you enjoy that long overdue time off! It will speed by but it sounds like you have plans to make every moment count!

Chatty Crone said...

Betty I am sooooooooooooooo thrilled for Y O U! You deserve it my friend.

My six words.
I work on my life daily!

Love, sandie

Betty WSch. said...

I agree with CC, you deserve it!! I hope you take a lot of ME time and just do stuff you enjoy!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It sounds perfect. So glad you finally have a week all to yourself. Enjoy! ((HUGS))
Debby

Barbara said...

Sounds like my favorite kind of vacation!! I'm thrilled for you. Hope you have time to blog. ;) - Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Jim said...

Enjoy it, Betty! You are right, the week will zoom by so please don't spend all your staycation time blogging.
Happy 6WS!
..

Michelle said...

Have a GREAT week!!!

Nel said...

Wow, what a work schedule! But I love your attitude about it! I am so happy that you have a week for yourself and hubby of course. Enjoy yourself, fit a bubblebath in there somewhere! Have a great week my friend!
until next time... nel

Ron. said...

Oh,man, could I use a week off. I'm seriously jealous. Enjoy yourself!

TARYTERRE said...

STAYCATIONS are the stuff dreams are made of, these days. Who doesn't LOVE a leisurely week at home. ENJOY each and every moment of yours. Take care.

Lynda said...

Yes, the week will fly by. Make sure to find something you really want to do - - - like blogging - - - and include it in your week!

Robyn :) said...

Staycations are awesome! Have a good time relaxing :) Give Koda a belly rub for me :)

Andrea said...

I had to come over to say Hi. You left comments on my blog and when I came over I realized we have much in common. I am a nurse, mostly retired at this point, but certainly understand your schedule issues, especially holidays. Also we are dog lovers at my house. We have a spoiled Mini Aussie and my granddaughter loves Corgi's. I too, hope your Stacation is all that you wish for. Thank you for commenting on my blog ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Deanna said...

Good for you! Enjoy your time off. Am looking forward to the blogging part of your time off. Unfortunatley, you are right, the week will probably zoom by!

Bobbi said...

A stay-cation. I like the sound of that! I love not having to do anything at all, and being able to do whatever I want. It doesn't happen often, but those are the good times. Betty, I just hope this week doesn't fly by too quickly for you. Enjoy the week! That is so cool that you will be going to the Titanic exhibit!
Hope you're weekend is going great... and have a WONDERFuL week off!!

jack69 said...

I am very late and don't have the time to read all the comments, I enjoy them.
I really do enjoy learning about your life and work. Much more demanding than we neophytes would think. Especially the holiday hours, that is news.
folks love to read your stuff, it is always interesting.

Love from this side!!!!

Josie Two Shoes said...

Nothing is more fun than having time off from work! Sometimes just staying home and doing fun stuff at your own pace, and LOTS of time for blogging, is the most restful of all! Like you, I've spent many vacations moving, or helping kids move. This sounds much nicer. My husband works 9-3 on Saturday so only has Sundays off, and I've worked a 1/2day on Saturdays before too, it makes for very short weekends and little play time. I hope you are eventually able to get your schedule changed, but in the mean time enjoy this week totally!

Caroline said...

Enjoy , I don't know what I would do with a week off. Well I would I guess but I'm always so busy.
Take care & thanks again for all the sweet comments , taking the time to stop by my blog. Love ya :)

JosephAlsarraf said...

Sounds rough! I hope you enjoy your time off, I know Koda will. : )

SweetMarie said...

Sounds like a great week ahead! Koda will love having you around more. Do you work in retail?

Hilary said...

enjoy your time off!

vanilla said...

With a work schedule like that it is small wonder that you are jubilant over some time off!

Thanks for visiting String Too Short to Tie.

Blondee said...

Hi Betty,

Thank you for stopping by my page and for you kind words. I hope that you enjoy your time off. :)

I am your newest follower. I look forward to getting to know you.

blondee

Martha said...

I'm so happy for you Betty. Enjoy your well deserved stay-cation! :)

Lynn Proctor said...

i hope you have a fantastic week--enjoy!!

Dot said...

Staycations are the BEST! Enjoy!

My 6 words:
Sun shining, can't pull myself away.

notes4neta said...

Sounds like you REALLY deserve that week off! I hope you savor each moment and make the most of each day, even if that means just putting up your feet and admiring the view from your bench! :)

Linda B. said...

Enjoy a relaxing stay-cation (one of my favorites) and all expense paid trip around the Blogworld!

Tracy said...

YEAH!!! now about that schedule, I think you might need to throw in a little blogging while you have the time...perhaps just a little?
:)

Living Life said...

Wow that is a busy schedule! So glad you will have a week off to enjoy for yourself!!

Reality Bites said...

Enjoy your week, sounds like bliss! :)

The Laughing Housewife said...

What a treat! Enjoy :)

Intense Guy said...

I hope you are enjoying your time off!! Its MONDAY for us working stiffs... :)

Hollie said...

Have a wonderful vacation!! You sure deserve it! Staycations are great!! That's what we had recently and it was wonderful!!!

Elaine said...

Hope you have a great week off!

Deborah said...

You have a cute corgi and a nice blog.
Have a great day!

Sylvie said...

Helly Betty :). You know what i like best about time off? It's when i tell everyone i'm going to be away but actually stay! That happened to me 2 years ago when i had to change holiday plans at the last minute and no one knew i was home! It was great as the only expectations were mine and i was very lenient with myself. Enjoy! If we're supposed to love our neighbor like ourselves, that implies we're going to pamper ourselves as well- in order that we know how it feels! So, see now, it's even part of a commandment that you spoil yoursel! :). sylvie aka little "s"