a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Heaven in Her Arms - a Book Review


As part of BookSneeze book reviews, I chose Heaven in Her Arms by Catherine Hickem to review.  For agreeing to read the book in its entirety and posting a review of it on my blog, I received a complimentary copy of the book.

Oh my gosh, I have to tell you before I begin telling you anything about this book, that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK! It caught me from the first chapters and held my interest through the rest of the book.  Some of her thoughts were so profound in it that I had to actually put the book down and walk away from it for a bit to absorb what she said and to ponder about it, which I think was her intent in writing this book.

Ms. Hickem writes about why God chose Mary to be the mother of Jesus, but she doesn't do it in a way that glorifies Mary or lifts her up on a pedestal like some religions do. She writes it with characteristics Mary had or developed in her walk of faith with God. She takes seventeen scriptures primarily from Luke Chapter One and Two plus other a couple more books from the New Testament and identifies characteristics Mary had that made her the best choice to be Jesus' earthly mother. Some of these included trusting God explicitly, even if she didn't know what the days ahead would be or even if it made sense of what he was telling her would happen. Another one that resonated with me was that God makes no mistakes in who he chooses to be our mothers (fathers for that matter too) or who he chooses to give to us our children, whether it is by birth or adoption, even though we may not feel we can mother such a child.

Her comment from her book about Fear, in Chapter Two, page 37, gripped me; I could totally relate to what she said when she wrote these words "Fear surfaces when we recognize that life may not go as we planned. Will we be able to cope or function if the carpet gets pulled out from under our world?" I think we all like to know what the future holds, want everything to go smoothly, but God never promises us a life like that and he certainly didn't promise that to Mary. Yet she was able to put aside her fear and trust in what God had planned for her. 

Ms. Hickem covers the whole span of motherhood, from pregnancy to as your children grow and become adults and how a mother's role will change over time. As a parent of two young adults, I gained valuable information on how I should be parenting at this stage of the game.

The chapters are well written, short, no more than 5-6 pages tops, but packed with wisdom and advice on important traits moms should harvest in their attempts to embrace motherhood and be the best mom they can me, allowing God to direct them and giving their children to God, knowing he knows what is best for them.

Again, I cannot say enough good things about this book.  If you are a mother of any age, you will truly enjoy it. If you are a young mom or a mom to be or hope to be a mom one day, you will benefit from this book. I wish it had been written years ago when my children were young, it would have changed my perspective about things and made me trust in God more and ease some of my fears and insecurities as a mom.

This is one book I would not hesitate to give as a shower gift for a mom to be or as a gift to any mother. In fact, I have a very special young woman in mind that I want to pass this book on to; a young mom to be in our church. God brought her name to mind when I was finishing this book.

Again, a very good read!! Highly recommended and totally enjoyed!

13 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I am glad you enjoyed the book and I am going to borrow this quote:

Fear surfaces when we recognize that life may not go as we planned. Will we be able to cope or function if the carpet gets pulled out from under our world?"

I ask this of myself fairly regularly because I want to be able to handle what comes when that happens... not that I am ready for something to happen, otherwise why would we have to cope? But I do not want the surprise to catch me so unprepared that I am overwhelmed.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Sounds like a great book! I don't know if I would enjoy reading it but, maybe my mom would. Mother's Day present?

I never really worry about what the future will be. I just live life one day at a time and hope for the best.

Great review! : )

TARYTERRE said...

Nice review. Book sounds insightful. I have to agree with your first commenter... that quote is powerful, indeed. "Fear surfaces when we recognize that life may not go as we planned. Will we be able to cope or function if the carpet gets pulled out from under our world?" Facing that here right now. taking a deep breath and finding strength. take care.

Shelly said...

I always enjoy your book reviews, and this one is no exception. I'm already compiling my summer reading list, and this one will have to go on it~

Bobbi said...

This sounds like a good book. Thank you for this review. Speaking of fears.. I'm not sure if you remember my posts about my stepdaughter, and the alienation etc. that went on for the past 6 years.. Anyway, she is now 19 years old, going on 20 this September. She has asked to come and stay with us for the summer. FEAR has gripped me, for though I have 'forgiven' I am still living in some of the hurt caused by her and Gary is as well. Not knowing what to expect of course, has contributed to that fear. Your post is a reminder to me that I need to allow God to show me what to do, how to act, and to let go of the thoughts that swim in my mind. I'm thankful that she is wanting to get to know her father again and hopefully begin a healing... but I am so not trusting her motives. *sigh* I will have to get this book... :-) Thanks, Betty!!

Carolina said...

Adding the book to my summer reading list! Powerful quote regarding fear. Change brings on fear...our hospital is going through lots of 'changes' bringing on fear and anger.

Parsley said...

Love hearing about good books! Thanks! Oh..I've reopened my old parsley blog :)

jack69 said...

I trust your opinions, and you are sold on this. You have a way of transmitting enthusiasm. I understand that statement 'I had to walk away to absorb'. A thing that many can relate to, because it happens so seldom that we find a writer that profound.
I will be looking for his one. I know Sherry will love it.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What an interesting concept for a book. It sounds like a good read.
Thank you for the review. I went over to Amazon to put it in my cart so I remember it. Have a nice weekend. Debby

Dana said...

This sounds like a really interesting book and one that I need at this stage of the parenting game. As luck would have it, my husband gave me a Barnes and Noble card for Mother's Day. :)

Nice review!

Lynn Proctor said...

this sounds like a wonderful book and would make a nice gift to any mother but especially for a mom to be!

The Brown Recluse said...

I've thought about Mary before...what an awesome responsibility God gave her at such a young age. I think I might like to read this book.

MEM Reel said...

I have to ad this book to my list. Stories about the mother of our Messiah is one of my favorite subjects.
Laini