a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, June 1, 2012

God's timing is almost perfect.....no matter how long the wait

You know how you sometimes wait and wait and wait for something to happen, you just about give up that it will happen, yet you still hope that it will happen?

Its kind of like when we were waiting to adopt a baby. We never knew when we would get that call, or if we would get the call, and after waiting month after month after month, we kind of lost faith a bit that it would happen, but then one day that call came.

Been waiting for a bit for something to happen in son's life.  In fact about four years.  He really hasn't had a job, an odd job here, and odd job there, since then though he has off and on diligently looked for one, filling out applications online, checking out job sites, etc.

Got interested and is still pursuing a career in financial planning and selling life insurance but it is commission based and you know how that can be in an economy such like ours. I have to say though, I wish I had taken the advice of a financial planner years ago when they were helping us to plan for retirement.  If I had given up a bit then and put away more money then, retirement would be looking a lot better now. We did take the insurance because it seemed like a good thing to do with two young children. We're still alive and the kids are grown. And our retirement funds, well, let's just say I don't see retirement happening any time soon.

Anyway, I digress as I seem to do.

Been praying off and on, more on than off, for son to get some type of a consistently paying job. Was pretty much losing heart at times, wondering if it would ever happen. 

I knew God heard each and every one of those prayers.  Yet I just never knew why the job market wasn't opening up for son.

Granted he didn't have the best work history when he had jobs, late at times, got let go (fired) from a few, didn't have an education past high school, but surely I thought some entry position.....

Nothing. Application after application after application. Just a couple interviews that led to nothing. No calls, like I said nothing.

Little did I know that son had also been praying to God for a job. Not sure how long he was praying, but he was asking God for a particular type of job over other types of jobs. I found that out afterwards when when we started talking.

About a month ago he nonchalantly said he had an interview at a pizza place for the following day. I was surprised for he had told me had applied to several of the locations of this particular pizza place a few days before. I honestly thought nothing would come of it. He had worked in a pizza making place his first job here in Southern California when we moved back here from Montana. That was six years ago. 

Imagine my surprise when he got home after the interview and said he had gotten hired. On the spot. I was like "wow, thank you God".  Imagine my surprise when he said he had been praying, hoping it would be a job at a pizza place because he would rather do that than retail (nothing wrong with retail, just not up his alley) and he felt that he would be more comfortable in such a position.

He's been working as a delivery driver for about four weeks now, mainly the weekend evenings. He's been making some nice tips plus hourly wage. I think it is hilarious he delivers pizza in his Cadillac, pizza with style :)

Do I worry about him delivering? Of course, especially when he said their restaurant had gotten robbed a couple Christmases in a row and just last week another delivery driver had gotten robbed, but I'm just going to trust God. Son watches out in his surroundings. I pray before his shift, asking protection for him and all the delivery drivers and for their store.  Its a step in the door. Who knows what he may do with it.

It gets better.......

After he got hired at the pizza place, the following Saturday I had some extra time so I was on Craigslist looking at this and that, would sometimes look at jobs for him and send them to him if I thought they looked interesting. I hadn't been on it for a little bit. I clicked on the job board.

There was listed a job for an auto detailer (wash/clean/wax cars). This was something I knew son would like to do because he takes pride in keeping his car up and does a great job on it. He likes cars, likes to detail them. I marked the site and two days later sent him the site after I talked to him about it.

I honestly thought he wouldn't be considered because so much time had passed. Jobs have to be acted on pretty quickly here. Very tight market as I am sure it is in the majority of the country.

He sent in his info and I didn't think he would hear anything back.

Imagine my surprise when he got called for an interview. Imagine my surprise when he got hired on the spot. For the past three weeks he's been detailing cars the likes of Mercedes, Porches, Lexuses, Bentleys, BMWs. Three days a week, 4-5 hours tops. Its a step in the door. Who knows where it might go.

Of course God does.

Two jobs, granted part-time, neither total 40 hours a week. But two jobs after literally years of nothing. And two jobs that have different time shifts, one days, one evenings. He can work both and not compromise the other.

Amazing on God's timing. I'll keep praying and trusting and trying to wait, knowing God's timing is always perfect.

Don't give up. Whatever you might be praying for, as simple as a job, as complicated as healing, don't give up. Just keep praying and keep waiting and keep trusting.

God is the God of the impossible. He is capable of doing anything he wants to do.

In his perfect timing and perfect way.

Thank you God for the work you are doing in son's life. Not only with the jobs but so much more. You know my prayer is for him to further your kingdom and be on fire for you. Help me to be patient as you continue to work wonders in his life.

31 comments:

Rita said...

That is so nice to hear! At least it's something. Two somethings, really. :) Happy for him. And, as they say, it is easier to get a job when you already have a job. He could keep his eyes open and maybe something full time will open up for him someplace. :):)

Shelly said...

This is so inspirational and further testimony to God's faithfulness. I'm so happy for your son and for you!

SweetMarie said...

I'm so happy for you all! My son loves cars!
Your post is such good timing. :)

MorningAJ said...

That sounds great. I'm glad he has somethng that fits in so well for him, and for each of his employers!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a blessing for your son. I've seen things like that happen many times. Just like my daughter praying for a baby. It took almost 14 years, but we do know that God's time is not our time. Still it is perfect.

Linda said...

God is so Good. He is faithful. Last night my devotional was about how God knows our prayers before we even say them to Him. Rejoicing with you!

Dana said...

That's wonderful news! There's no doubt that God is faithful. Your post is a great reminder for us all. :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wonderful news ... and a great reminder to never give up.

Linda B. said...

Very excited :) about all the career options coming together for your son!!

I'm reminded of Abraham and Sarah and God's timing. Thanks for sharing your experiences in trusting God.

Lynn Proctor said...

i am so touched by your post today--i have lived every word you have written--my son who delivered food for years sometimes as his only job sometimes as his second now he is working full-time at something he loves---now i just wish my husband could stop his second job as a pizza delivery driver 3 nights a week--we never thought we would be in the financial mess we are in, well not really mess, just not enough money--i share in your faith and am so happy for you and your son and will pray for your family :)

Jeanie said...

I am so glad these things have come together for your son. Your joy for him shines through in this post.

Funny in My Mind said...

Amazing news for him. Now his confidence level will go up and he could even open his own detailing business someday (our friend did that and he tints windows too and does very well for himself)

gracies tough journey said...

So happy for your son. Good for him. I know my son is still looking. Times are so tough. It is funny about prayers. We just never know when they will be answered and how they will. God is amazing.

jack69 said...

Today has been my day. The day I have been encouraged by two folks I appreciate. Thanks for being one.
YES, waiting is hard. sometimes really hard. Still waiting, but while waiting it is great to be encouraged.
THANKS LADY. Your bench had a great view.
Glad for your son, nice to breath deep isn't it? I am waiting.
Love ya

Carolina said...

Answered prayers...what a blessing!

Michelle said...

Praise the Lord. I dont' think anyone is really 'ready' for retirement. It is so hard in our economy. There is always 'something' that needs to be paid.

While I was reading awhile back, I read what I thought was a good bit of wisdom. I wrote it down, because it spoke to me. It's something to ponder.

'Prosperity hardens the heart: being rich is a serious disadvantage spiritually.'

God wants us to depend on him for our needs and not worry what the future holds. It's hard, because we fear the unknown. It's human nature.

Prayer is what He wants from us. He will provide. Great post.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Glad to hear it! I know how he feels!

Sounds like a fun job, I hope he is successful! : )

Jim said...

Good news, C's Mom, about son's jobs. Better news still that he was praying and tells about it!

Our son hasn't had a decent job either for about five years. He gets 'contract' work as an IT Data Base Manager but when the data base if built or updated or whatever they are finished with him.

But now his role is a full time house-husband for their two-year-old after they moved to London with our daughter's job.

I know the both of you are praying about the financial counseling job too! Straight commission is hard until a person gets a client base built up. Like you said, God knows.
..

Betty WSch. said...

So happy to read this Betty! What an answer to prayer!! I hope your son continues to enjoy his jobs and I'm sure it will only get better.

Chatty Crone said...

First I want to say congrats to your son - two jobs - that is wonderful.

You know when I talked about Rick and the doctor releasing him - well if he hadn't he might have had surgery - brain surgery - and since they sent him home - he probably won't - but we didn't see it that way until today.

Love, sandie

BelovedBomber said...

What a great encouragement that God does show up! His timing may seem late to us, but He knows why He has delayed. I am so glad for you all. God knows what we desire even before we ask...thanks for stopping by, and I am encouraged by your post! Many blessings. By the way, the view from that bench is amazing. I could sit and stare at it with the sounds of water playing in the background :)

banning brewd said...

my husband and i are living proof that a mother's prayers are enough for God to move in a mighty way. before he committed his life to the Lord she prayed for him alllll the time.
all i can say is now we are blessed by God and so grateful to her for her continued prayer...

Toriz said...

That's great! Congrats to him on his new jobs; hope they work out well for him!

Tamera Brose said...

How wonderful for you both. I have a brother is somewhat similar circumstances and it has been a very prayerful situation. He is okay now. I will keep your son my prayers when he delivers the pizza.

rmslil said...

Thanks for the reminder for me to hang in there and keep praying for a job.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

what a great post and good reminder of God's timing . Congrats to your son and I hope this all works out for the best!

Aneta said...

What a wonderful, encouraging post. I'm reading a book on prayer right now and the words that keep coming back to me are "God is bigger". He's bigger than any problem or challenge in our lives. Your post reminded me that God is bigger and God is faithful. Thanks so much for those awesome words your shared today! Great timing, for sure! And I'm so happy for your son (and you, because he's YOUR son, and as mothers, well.. if it affects our children, it affects us!) :)

Martha said...

Two jobs! Here's to having prayers answered!!! I wish the best to your son always. I hope he will find what he really wants to be doing. It really is hard in our economic times!

mare ball said...

Love to hear stories like this...how God works. My son could not find work after college and ended up as is sales for Gucci. He thought it was weird, and kept looking. Nothing else has come up, so he's now been w/ Gucci for three years. He's moved up in position and will be moving soon to take an assistant manager position. He likes the managing end, and has decided this could be a career. You never know what God is doing! Great post!

Sharon said...

Hey Bethie, My son who's married with twins has been looking for a job for a while now. They're living with us until he can find one so they can save and get their own place which they really want to do. I, too, pray for that son to find the job that will provide for his family. Today he had an interview with Overstock and I'm crossing my fingers and have prayed earnestly for this. Great blog post.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Betty, That is awesome news. My son in law needs a push like that.
I better start praying harder. I wish him continued success.