a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, May 28, 2012

Fun in La Jolla

Sadly, Flat Ruthie's visit with us is winding down; after tomorrow, she'll be on her way to another vacation designation and more sites to see.

We have enjoyed having her here with us.

Today we took off to La Jolla, which is about 30 miles from where we live; it is still in
San Diego County

It is obviously very close to the beach.

It has beautiful beaches

and big houses

and shops to explore

great restaurants to eat at



                                                    and hang gliding; looks fun (I think)


beautiful views

I've walked a lot  of the beach down there (La Jolla Shores)

been in the ocean there too

gorgeous!


This is one of the restaurants in La Jolla.  It is right along the beach.  In high tide when a storm comes through, the ocean has been known to come up to the restaurant and the waves are so high and so powerful they break windows of it. Yet the view from it is stunning and a favorite place to go and eat.

We've eaten there a few times in our younger days. Delicious food and fantastic view!

San Diego is a beautiful place to visit and live in. No doubt about it.  We have the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park, Seaport Village, Coronado Island, a professional baseball team (Padres), a professional football team (Chargers), an international airport, a dock for cruise ships, many miles of beaches, shops galore, lots of restaurants to eat at, perfect climate.

My family moved here back in August 1965 from Pennsylvania.  My mom wanted to escape the winter weather back there.  She was tired of fighting driving in snow and ice and the shoveling of snow and the cold weather.  She braved leaving her extended family and venturing out with three young children  alone as she was a young widow. 

I've lived in other states, Oregon, New Mexico, Montana.  I have come back on two separate times to Southern California.  It is picture perfect.

But it is also very expensive to live here. House prices, even in this economy, are still very high. Rents for a one bedroom apartment here in my town can start around $1300 a month.

Freeways are crowded, commuters deal with rush hour traffic every day.

Yet it is still a popular place to visit and a lot of people do come to try to live here.

There is still so much I could have shown you, lots to do here, but thanks for letting Flat Ruthie and me show you a bit around.

One last post tomorrow as we say goodbye to Flat Ruthie and send her on her way.

May your day tomorrow be a good one!

24 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Going to miss you FLAT RUTHIE. It's been fun. EXCITING new adventures await you. ENJOY.

MorningAJ said...

She's had a good stay with you. I'm sure she's enjoyed it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I can relate to wishing to be away from our harsh winters here, yet I stay right where I was born and raised. Home will forever be home to me. Your part of the world is beautiful but for me it would be too far away from what I know and love. Thankfully we do have some beautiful summer weather here. It makes up for the winters. Glad you've had fun with your visitor. I enjoyed seeing all the sights too. Hope your Monday is a wonderful one!

Hollie said...

It really is a beautiful place!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tour. It's the closest I'll ever come to California.

'Sniff'...I'm going to miss Ruthie!

Have a great Memorial day!

Shelly said...

You truly live in a gorgeous area- I would never want to go inside!

Deanna said...

Is Flat Ruthie going to fly out on one of those big jet planes? It has been fun seeing San Diego through Flat Ruthie's eyes. I'd loce to be walking those beaches. The views are so gorgeous! If I lived that close to where cruise lines dock, I'd be catching those last minute deals for a cheap cruise on a regular basis.

Hope you have a real nice Memorial Day.

jack69 said...

This has been nice, traveling with Flat Ruthie and getting to see more of YOUR country.
The weather sure drives the cost of living up, huh? I have known a few sailors that retired there and love it.
You have entertained Flat Ruthie and us VERY WELL!
Love from this side!!!

She will have a hard time beating this trip!

MEM Reel said...

Do you think Ruthie might to visit the Reel Family?

vanilla said...

Clearly Flat Ruthie has been as much fun for you as were our travels with Flat Stanley across Louisiana and Texas. We wish Ruthie well, and bon voyage!

Dana said...

I'll be sad to see Flat Ruthie go. I've really enjoyed these posts.

Robyn :) said...

I've been to La Jolla once and thought it was really beautiful. Maybe I will stop there when I come see you :)

I have enjoyed seeing your part of the world with Flat Ruthie.

Rita said...

I think you're going to miss Flat Ruthie. ;)

SweetMarie said...

Will miss touring with Flat Ruthie! It's beautiful there in CA. I've never been and have always wanted to visit.
Hope you have a nice holiday!
Marie :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love La Jolla. We go to San Diego often throughout the year and it's either La Jolla or Carlsbad. We always eat at The Spot. We lived there for 9 months and spent almost every weekend in La Jolla with the kids. I am sure Flat Ruthie loved it. Yes CA is expensive and crowded.

Toriz said...

Sounds as though you've enjoyed Flat Ruthie's visit. :)

It also sounds like you live in a beautiful area; no wonder people are willing to pay those prices to live there. Most places here are quite expensive too. We got lucky by not being too picky, and by not minding which part of the town we lived in.

Seriously Though said...

La Jolla looks so gorgeous. I would really like to visit it. I think you're mom must have been a rather amazing woman. I wonder if I would have been so brave. Southern Cali looks worth the journey though.

Linda said...

Thank you for taking me along on your adventures with Flat Ruthie. I have loved seeing Southern California for the first time! Where is she heading next?

Marianne said...

Flat Ruthie rocked! And I loved reading about your mom's adventuresome spirit. What an inspiration.

notes4neta said...

Great blog post! Flat Ruthie has seen some wonderful things! You do live in a gorgeous area. I am tiring of cold, snowy winters, but I think I'd really miss the four seasons if I moved away. We do have nice hot summers here as well, though. Safe travels, Flat Ruthie! ;)

McGuffy Ann said...

So how do I get Flat Ruthie's Bio? I am really curious...

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed the tour of your home town. I have always wanted to live there - but can't afford it!! The scenery is gorgeous! sandie

Caroline said...

Sounds like she has had a wonderful stay with you. I enjoyed the tour.
Simply beautiful !!!

The Brown Recluse said...

One day maybe I will make to to California. I know it's beautiful (I have heard about how expensive it is...all I can say is folks must get paid more than they do here, because only the folks with really good jobs can pay $1300..and that's a really big house payment, NOT rent!!)

I cannot imagine moving across country as a young widow with children! Did you know anyone? Very brave lady.

I don't think I'd like traffic snarls every day...glad I live in Bama, where's there's no freeways!