a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, May 21, 2012

Fun in the Kitchen

So, as you all know, Flat Ruthie came to visit on Thursday and like I said yesterday, I was going to put her to work (lots of work).

But first she had to meet Koda.

I think the meeting went well.

Yes food was involved.


Then she and hubby got busy in the kitchen.

I was scheduled for hospitality at church today.

Something terrible happened last month when it was my team's turn.

We ran out of food.

I don't know how that happened, because I thought we had planned a good amount.

One of the team's husbands had to run to the store in the middle of the second service to bring reinforcements.

I wasn't going to let that happen again.

So I got my thinking hat on and began to plan this month's.

And this is what we came up with.


Made this delicious creamy salsa dip. Cream cheese, sour cream, salsa and seasonings.

Served with tortilla chips; it was a hit.

Made a batch of chocolate chip cookies (from a boxed cookie mix).  Yum.


                                             Made an apple crisp.  It was tasty.


                                         Made raspberry bars; another yum.


                                                    Made lemon glacier bars, a crowd favorite.

Flat Ruthie and hubby were in the kitchen most of the day and into the late evening. I helped with the apple crisp and the cookies, otherwise, they did all the other things (I had to work in the morning). 

What troopers they were! Thanks Flat Ruthie and hubby!

In addition, we brought cheese, salami, crackers, grapes, bananas, Cheese-Its, and regular salsa dip.

My other team members brought foot long sandwiches cut into about 12 pieces each along with more crackers and Goldfish and donut holes.

We had SO much food this time we all brought home leftovers (which hubby didn't mind because he especially liked the lemon glacier bars).

So what did we all do after church? We took a little drive showing Flat Ruthie some of the sights, check back on Tuesday for where we went. And then we all took a Sunday afternoon nap :)

30 comments:

MorningAJ said...

That apple crisp looks lovely. Mind you, it all looks tasty!

I'm glad Ruthie's having a good time.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a good day to me!

Toriz said...

You're making me hungry!

I'm not surprised Koda liked Flat Ruthie; if food was involved. ;)

I'd have needed a nap after that too!

Big Mark 243 said...

Man, I could feel the extra pounds after looking at the picture of that delicious food!

While I would REALLY love it if Ruthie stopped by during the three weeks KT was here, she is welcome to come to Omaha at any time!

Natalie said...

I really want one of those raspberry bars now!

Jeanie said...

Flat Ruthie is the perfect guest...she helps with the cooking and Koda likes her.

Shelly said...

The picture with Koda was so cute- the look on his face is priceless. Care to share your lemon glacier recipe?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You really did have some fun in the kitchen. Glad at least you had some leftovers. A Sunday nap sounds pretty good too!

Stephanie said...

Ooooh...those lemon glacier bars look REALLY good.

The Brown Recluse said...

Wowzers! That's a veritable feast! Did you catch Flat Ruthie winking at Hubby? lol

Lynn Proctor said...

yes i would rather have way too much for leftovers or for people to pack and take--than to run out of food--great looking food you had!!

Parsley said...

Oh I'm hungry now! Have a happy week!

Deanna said...

After all that baking, Flat Ruthie (and you and hubby) needed a nap! All of the food looks delicious. Fellowship is a wonderful thing and worth the effort.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Yummy! All that food looks DELISH! But especially the apple crisp ... I'm especially fond of apple crisp. I had a feeling, as I was reading, that you would have leftovers ... still that's better than running out. ;-)

gracies tough journey said...

Kodi is so cute. I love the expression on his face...

Those lemon bars look amazing!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Salsa dip sounds yummy. I forgot about Mr. Food! You made some wonderful treats. You certainly put Flat Ruthie to work! I bet she loved the sights.

Rita said...

Oh, this made me hungry!! Looks delicious! and plenty, too! :)

Betty WSch. said...

A hubby that cooks! That is priceless! That food really looks good and I'm glad you didn't run out this time!

Intense Guy said...

Umm.. don't hate me for saying so... but Flat Ruthie seems... a little well... tipsy?

..and a little blue. Hope she cheers up and gets back on her own two feet soon.

Danielle L Zecher said...

If this is what she does when she comes to visit, I'm ready for Flat Ruthie to come on over! Those raspberry bars look amazing. I think I might have drooled on my desk.

Dana said...

Happy Monday!

Everything looks delicious. :) I really need to do more baking.

Carolina said...

Yummy goodies! Looks like Flat Ruthie is being a good guest by helping out!

Jane said...

Oh my goodness...everything looks so delicious! I'm glad such a good time was had by all!!!

Chatty Crone said...

What a filled day - but you didn't get your nap. Do you have to pay for all that food? How many people? You guys - all three of you - look like great cooks! lol sandie

Tracy said...

wow, you were just a cooking machine...good for you! That apple crisp looks yummy :) could I have some with a tad of vanilla ice cream please?

Rob-bear said...

Wow! Did Ruthie and hubby ever bake up a storm! 'm impressed. Between them they cooked enough for half a congregation. Or one Bear. Fortunately (for you folks) Bear was not at your Church on Sunday.

Sunday afternoon nap is a good thing. I did that for years; in fact, I still do. But, then, leading worship on Sunday is actually a very high-energy activity. After which I am legitimately ready for a snooze.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Mmmm.... lot's of yums!!!!

LOL! Koda looks confused! : )

mare ball said...

so much fun! All the goodies look wonderful!

TARYTERRE said...

Flat Ruthie, you and your hubby make quite the team. Food sounds delicious. Especially the leftovers. LOL Nothing like coming home after a long day and taking a little nap. it's good for the soul. take care.

Seriously Though said...

How fun! Your hospitality team knows how to treat people! The lemon Glacier bars sound D-licious!