a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fun in the City

So Sunday afternoon we took our usual Sunday afternoon car drive with Koda (yes, he is that spoiled; he does love his car rides though :) We piled Flat Ruthie into the car and headed to show her the sights.


First stop was the sea salt making plant in our city. Those mounds are salt that have been made from ocean water evaporating leaving the salt. Not sure what they do with the salt though because on eating a hard boiled egg this morning for breakfast, hubby noticed the Morton's sea salt came from Spain and we certainly don't live in Spain. But it is impressive driving past them and Flat Ruthie seemed to enjoy the view.



Then we headed down to the San Diego Harbor. We were hoping to find a parking place and get out and do a little picture taking but it was a beautiful sunny day and everyone and their neighbor was out and about and we couldn't find a close parking place and it was a bit warm so we couldn't keep Koda in the car if we did decide to take a walk without him. However, Flat Ruthie quickly got out of the car and had her picture taken by the commercial fishing area part of the harbor. I believe tuna is something that is fished off our coast.


In the background is the Star of India, it is a ship from the 1880s; it is impressive to visit; its a museum now; it has been out to sea recently though; I think they refer to it as a tall ship.

The picture was taken from the car while we were waiting at a red light. Hubby is pretty quick at getting these pictures. It was hard for me to line Flat Ruthie up and hold Koda at the same time.

Our intention was to do a bit more driving in the San Diego area around the harbor, catching some more sights, but we drove right by the airport when a big plane was taking off. Koda doesn't like loud noises like that and where we live, we are sometimes over the flight path of the Navy jets that are very loud, which makes Koda scamper for cover. Once he heard the big plane at the San Diego airport, he started quivering and shaking so we had to cut the visit short and head home. Flat Ruthie was very understanding.

Once we got home, we all took a nap. I'm happy to report Flat Ruthie doesn't snore. I'm not sure about the rest of us.


In the evening we took Flat Ruthie down to the Chula Vista Marina where we walk Koda a lot. She enjoyed looking at the ships here.


What a beautiful sunset! We also saw a bit of the eclipse; we didn't look at the sun but you could tell it was different than an average day!


On our way home we stopped by the local library. Jessica Sanchez, a local girl, is in the finals for American Idol. The city is pretty excited about it all; signs all across supporting her. Flat Ruthie and us will be glued to the TV Tuesday and Wednesday evening to see the season finale for American Idol and if Jessica Sanchez wins.

Alas, back to work for me today. Flat Ruthie is cool hanging around the house playing with Koda and doing some reading and Internet surfing. Our next adventure will be next weekend :)

27 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, flat Ruthie really got the tour of the town! Has she caused the grocery bill to increase? She doesn't look like she eats much.

I LOVE Jessica Sanchez, and I hope she wins. She is one talented girl!

Shelly said...

Poor Koda- I'm kind of like that myself about the loud engines. We have a naval air station nearby and we hear them often. Ruthir sounds like she's having a great time!

Toriz said...

Sounds like Flat Ruthie is having a great time visiting you!

Haha! Maybe Spain has your salt? I remember one time when we went to visit some relatives in Cornwall and got a mug that said "Cornwall" on it; turned out (we found out later) it was made in Wales. The funniest part? When we went back to Wales they came too, and they got a "Wales" mug; turned out that one was made in Cornwall. LOL!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are having a lot of fun showing your flat Ruthie the sights around where you live. I'm glad she came to visit so we get to see them too. Hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

Blondee said...

Flat Ruthie took in some very cool sights. I love the pics of the boats and the water. So pretty!

And maybe the salt piles contribute to the making of sea salt in some areas...that's the process for making it it, evaporating the briney water to harvest the salt.

Enjoy your day!

Big Mark 243 said...

I remember the Tall Ships coming in on the Detroit River when I was a boy and thinking how cool that was... Ruthie is certainly getting a great tour of California!!

Wonder what do they do with all that salt?

Jeanie said...

Lots of fun for Flat Ruthie, and I'm sure Koda is enjoying all the sightseeing too. I hope Ruthie is getting some good pics with her camera.

Intense Guy said...

I hope Flat Ruthie is getting lots of photos!! I wonder what kind of camera she has!!

:) You know me... Boats, water, sunsets... just perfect!

Linda B. said...

Wonderful sights! Does Ruthie draw attention and smiles when being photographed? Today's daily newspaper mentions Jessica as strongest vocalist. Hope your local gal does well!

jack69 said...

I enjoyed the tour with Flat Ruthie, especially the quick view of a 'Tall Ship'. I never was stationed at San Diego but we did drive thru and camp there once many years ago.
Thanks for the tour, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Love from the first coast!

Deanna said...

You are goin to wear that poor girl out! She sure did get to see some sights.

Jessica is wonderful, but Philip has my heart. I love his voice! I may be cancelling out a vote or two ;0

Lynn Proctor said...

wow you guys are having lots of fun with ruthie!!--i hope jessica wins!

Betty WSch. said...

Being your guest must be very fun! Thanks for the tour and can't wait to see more of your city!

Dana said...

I bet Flat Ruthie is having a ton of fun! Loved the pictures. :)

Brenda Youngerman said...

I think this is the funniest thing I have ever seen.... Where in the world did you come up with Flat Ruthie? And did you think that maybe you could market her as the best traveling companion ever! I mean think about it... how else do you get great pictures of your friends?

Funny in My Mind said...

I'm not sure where Ruthie came from but she seems to be having quite a lovely time with you. Thank you for the beautiful pictures as well.

notes4neta said...

Flat Ruthie seems to be having a wonderful time seeing the sites. She seems to be an easy companion to take along.. the only thing she seems to crave is having her picture taken.. and that's not too difficult.


Love the pics!

Linda said...

What fun you had with flat Ruthie. She is really seeing the sights. The photographs are beautiful. A few years ago I took Flat Stanley from one of our 3rd grade classrooms on the only vacation DH and I have ever had. We went from Wisconsin to Glacier Nat. Park.

SweetMarie said...

It looks like Flat Ruthie has been having a blast! She did all that sight seeing and now she gets to hang out with Koda? What more could she ask for?! She doesn't seem camera shy, so you've got some great pics of her!
Have a great week!
Hugs!
Marie

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness did Ruthie take a nap too and Koda? You ran around so much. It must really be nice to live in southern California! By the water and the great weather. You are so lucky. sandie

Rita said...

I'm so glad Flat Ruthie doesn't snore and is an understanding tourist guest. That's such a relief! ;)

Poor Koda. I don't like loud planes, either.

Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)

Ruth said...

Flat Ruthie gets around more than I do.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Cool shots! It looks like flat Ruthie had a good time. : )

TARYTERRE said...

Loved seeing Flat Ruthie sightseeing. thanks for letting me tag along.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love the close up of Flat Ruthie, she is styling! You certainly showed her some awesome places.
Love the sign for Jessica!

Tami said...

You are being an excellent host to Flat Ruthie! Looks like you're both having a great time. We hosted Flat Stanley a few years ago. While posing for his picture in front of the "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" sign, a gust of wind carried him into a field. Glad I was the only one around with a camera as I chased Stanley through the field. Close call!

Seriously Though said...

You live in the coolest place EVER. The Star of India is awesome. This was a really fun--I love flat Ruthie. She is one lucky gal-I'd love to travel that much!