a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fun in Chula Vista

Saturday..... Weekend fun...... We decided to take Flat Ruthie for a drive around the city we live in.

Chula Vista.

I hesitated in the past to give a definite city I have lived in but heck I hesitated in the past
to include a picture of myself on the blog
and we all know I changed that a few weeks ago

So I live in Chula Vista, California

Its a suburb of San Diego

but it is a pretty big city in of itself.

Its about 10 miles from the Mexican border and Tijuana.

It has picture perfect weather

and we are about five miles from the ocean

We per se don't have a great beach with waves and sand

but we do have the marina that we walk Koda a lot at

We also have a place to go sky diving


Flat Ruthie wanted to sky dive

But she didn't meet the weight requirement

and I don't like heights.

so we didn't sky dive




We also have an Olympic training center. I think they are really busy this time of year getting ready for the summer games in London. 


It was getting lunch time so we decided to check out somewhere to eat. We happen to like the Cheesecake Factory. Who doesn't with their delicious food and multiple choices of cheesecake?


We also have P.F. Chang's. Good Chinese Food.

We couldn't decide, so we kept driving.


It was a nice warm day, not super warm, but warm enough. We drove by Soak City, an outdoor water park, hoping to be able to go and cool off. Unfortunately, it hadn't opened for the season yet (scheduled to open June 1).

I think Flat Ruthie enjoyed her day.

I enjoyed showing her Chula Vista and sharing the city I live in with you guys.  When my family first moved to California when I was seven years old, we lived in La Mesa, which is about 10 miles from here. It is a nice town too and I wouldn't mind living there again.

When I got married, I moved to Chula Vista and we lived here for six years before we moved to Oregon.  We eventually moved back here almost 1-1/2 years ago. Hubby's parents moved here in 1963 when his dad got transferred to San Diego with being in the Navy. They called it home for the rest of their lives.

Not sure if we will call it home for the rest of our lives. We'll see where God takes us in the days ahead.

26 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm trying not to be jealous of Ruthie because she's seeing more interesting parts of the world than I am~

Janice's footsteps said...

YOU CHANGED YOUR BENCH PICTURE IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL THE SUNSETTING I LOVE YOUR BENCH..
HEY IF I CAN GET MY FAMILY TO STICK ME IN A BOX AND TALK THE CHULA VISTA UPS TO USE A VERY GOOD LOOKING DELIVERY GUY CAN I HAVE FLAT RUTHIES ADVENTURE COPIED??? THEY WON'T LET ME SKYDIVE EITHER SO WE CAN LEAVE THAT PART OUT ON MY TRIP ALSO BUT THE P.F CHANGS YA THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE OPTIONS HEY WE CAN EAT THERE FOR LUNCH AND DO CHEESECAKE FACTORY FOR DESSERT LOL I AM SO SMART MAYBE EVEN SMARTER THEN FLAT RUTHIE???
CONTINUE HAVING A GREAT ADVENTURE TAKE CARE BETTY & THAT PICTURE WAS GREAT KEEP SMILING :)))

Funny in My Mind said...

My husband lived there when he was in the Navy and agreed that it was perfect! One of these days I want to see Cali. Hope to someday meet you and that precious doggie!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is wonderful to see all the sights around where you live. I don't think that I'd be doing any sky diving at all but sitting on that bench with a view like that would be a sight to see! Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Hollie said...

Interesting place! Youknow, I've never ate at the Cheesecake Factory. Of course, there's not one close to us, but one day I will give it a try!!

MorningAJ said...

You're giving Ruthie a lot to remember. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dana said...

I love seeing the world through Ruthie's eyes!

Happy Sunday!

Patrick said...

Beautiful place to live!

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Seriously Though said...

Thanks for showing me your city. I really enjoyed the sights and hearing how close you are to Mexico!.

Jeanie said...

I think Ruthie would have been better off with the sky diving than a visit to Soak City, but it is probably best that you avoided both.
It was fun to have a look at your city with you and Ruthie.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Looks like a nice place to live. We have a resteraunt in Beaumont called Chula Vista. Wonder what it means? I googled to find it means "nice view". No wonder your blog is "bench with a view"! LOL - Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Renea said...

When my husband was in the Navy we lived in Imperial Beach. We use to spend lots of time in Chula Vista. The weather was awesome in California but when he got discharged from the Navy we came back to Iowa. We are planning a trip to the San Diego area next June as it will be 35 years since we first lived in Imperial Beach. Thanks for sharing Chula Vista with us.

jack69 said...

This is sorta neat, going along with Flat Ruthie. Enjoyed the sites, especially the idea of Sky Diving. Down inside i keep saying I have got to try that. But I never have.

Thanks for the tour and taking us with Flat Ruthie.

Love ya,
jack & Sherry from over here on the first coast.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

DH and I dream of a road trip to southern California ... maybe one of these days. ;-) In the meantime, thanks for sharing your little part of southern California with us.

Robyn :) said...

I don't think I have ever been that far south. It looks like a really nice town!!

Rita said...

That Flat Ruthie really is getting around! Loved seeing the sights with her. ;)

SweetMarie said...

Ruthie must be having a blast! I know I would be, I'm enjoying the pics! Definitely go with Cheesecake Factory! yummy!!!
Have a nice holiday!

Lynn Proctor said...

sounds lovely--and especially the cheesecake part---glad you passed on the skydiving!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing your city. I am sure Flat Ruthie enjoyed seeing it. Love both of those restaurants!I love CA but I am sure Oregan is a beautiful place to live. ((HUGS))

Deanna said...

Flat Ruthie sure is getting around. I like the new bench picture. You seem so flexible about where you live. I'm pretty sure it would take a blast of dynamite to get me off my patootie and move from here. I am just too set in my ways!

Deanna said...

Flat Ruthie sure is getting around. I like the new bench picture. You seem so flexible about where you live. I'm pretty sure it would take a blast of dynamite to get me off my patootie and move from here. I am just too set in my ways!

Martha said...

Love all your Flat Ruthie posts and can't help but think about Koda's virtual vacation to visit me with every post! Hope you are having a nice weekend Betty :)

Chatty Crone said...

I am proud of you sharing some personal info. I noticed that in the past you did hesitate. You are a new woman. YOU GO GIRL! Be free.

You have to have some great temps where you live. Do you use a/c a lot?

Does being that close to the border carry any dangers? I know the border area is tough right now.

Hope you have a great Memorial Day.
sandie

TARYTERRE said...

I think Flat Ruthie and you enjoyed being out and about in Chula Vista. thank you for taking me along. It was FUN.

Linda B. said...

What a fun travelogue of Flat Ruthie. Glad she had such a wonderful host! And who wouldn't love the gorgeous ocean views!

The Brown Recluse said...

Flat Ruthie gets around, doesn't she? heheh I like how you're opening up in your blogging!! (I can't believe it's already been a year and a half!!)