a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, April 23, 2012

Trust


If you  have been following my blog(s) for a bit, you know that I have had lots of problems with trusting God. In my heart, I trust him, I know what his word says and that he does keep his promises of meeting one's needs, that he is for me, not against me, that he is always with me, that he never forsakes me, etc. My mind gets that too, but I have struggled with trust issues over the years, even when I can look back and see God's hand continually on my life.

I made Trust my word of the year in 2010. I was going to trust God no matter what happened and knew that he was in control, he knew what was best, etc. If anxious, I would say "I trust you Lord". If something bad happened, I would say "I trust you know what you are doing Lord, you are in control, this didn't catch you by surprise." And I kept reminding myself of God's faithfulness.

I have grown a lot in my trust of God since that time and really do grasp in my heart and my mind that he knows what is best for me, though it might not make sense at the time.

I thought I'd share a few scriptures that talk about trust that have helped me.

Psalm 31:14-15 But I trust in you O Lord, I say you are my God, my times are in your hands, deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.

Psalm 37:3 Trust in the Lord and do good, dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name will trust in you, for you have never forsaken those who seek you. (that's one of my life verses).

Psalm 13:15 But I trust in your unfailing love, my heart rejoices in your salvation.

Psalm 20:8  Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

Psalm 25:1 To you O Lord I lift up my soul, in you I trust oh my God.

Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Psalm 56:11 In God I trust. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

Proverbs 28:26 He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who trusts in the Lord is kept safe.

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.

Isaiah 25:9 In that day they will say surely this is our God, we trusted in him and he saved us. This is the Lord, we trusted in him, Let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation.

I do trust in you Lord! I do know you keep  your promises and your words and you will not forsake me and you know what is best and you are in control. Thank you.

23 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Trusting is not ever easy but the more we put it into practice the easier it becomes. Looking back is good when you see the ways that the good Lord has helped his faithful people. From the beginning to the end of the scriptures we see it over and over again. It's nice to know that there is One who is in control when life is chaotic. I always figure He can do a much better job of handling things than I can for sure.
Hope your Monday is a wonderful one!

jack69 said...

I think you know very well it does no good to whip yourself, most folk do, BUT we still have times when we just 'KNOW' GOD needs a little help. LOL

I am the world's worst. I will put 'something on the alter' and after prayer say, 'now I will trust HIM'. Then a day later I find my self going back to get the 'something' and worry over it some more.

I think God sometimes must smile (even laugh) at me and my ability to trust.
Good one Betty!

(But, I have always thought you handled the trust thing, VERY WELL!)

Toriz said...

Trusting is always difficult; regardless of who it is we're putting our trust in.

Lynn Proctor said...

God always knows the desires of our hearts--God bless your thoughtful post

Shelly said...

Such a simple word and yet it encompasses so much. Love the scriptures- thank you for the encouragement!

Linda B. said...

Great selection of scripture. Trusting in His Word, Thy will will be done.

Hollie said...

Trust is a hard thing for most of us I believe. It is amazing to look back down life's road & see how God was and is in the midst of EVERYTHING! It's so humbling!!

Dot said...

Trust is such a valuable commodity, once lost it takes a lot of time and effort to regain. I enjoyed your post.

Chatty Crone said...

I have a hard time with Trust. I pray and talk to the Lord and say okay I'll trust him. Then I wake up the next morning worrying! I am a work in progress. sandie

Funny in My Mind said...

I am envious in where you are. I don't really trust anyone completely. When you get hurt too many times, it is easier to be wary.

Dana said...

Thank you for sharing those verses. I am a worrier by nature, so trust is hard for me as well. I'm working on it...

Rita said...

I think I have a harder time trusting people. ;)

Intense Guy said...

I'm with Rita. Trusting a dog is easier.

Is the issue "trust" or "faith"? Or a blend of the two?

TARYTERRE said...

Once you've been hurt, deceived... TRUST is hard. It is sometimes difficult to believe situations are as they appear? I think the Psalms that have helped you, will help others too. take care.

CLR said...

So glad I headed on over to your blog from my little hammock!! What a TIMELY post!!!

I believe that I have grown in this area, but it is still an unsettling place when circumstances come our way that do not lend themselves to trusting. Health issues, financial struggles, the hurtful actions of others...but I am learning to lean into the trusting MORE when I encounter these things. It is a process.

Thank you for this post!!! I plan to join/follow and come back again!
Carrie
www.hammockinthehoneysuckle.blogspot.com

JosephAlsarraf said...

Those are great versus, I enjoyed reading them! Thanks for sharing!
: )

Nel said...

Great choice of verses. I think everyone has problems with complete trust. We worry because we are human, but Thank God He still takes care of us!
Great choice of verses!
until next time... nel

The Brown Recluse said...

Sometimes it's really hard to grasp it all...that we can fully trust Him no matter what...my road in trust has been much like yours.

mare ball said...

Love this honesty. Trusting God is hard for all of us, b/c we have such limited, human thinking. Seeing God come through over and over builds trust. It just takes time sometimes. He his patient. I wrote a post on this you might find helpful: http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com/2011/03/whos-boss.html

Would love to follow you in this journey of faith. I'm so encouraged to have discovered so many believers in the blogging world. So nice to find you! Come visit me in my Ballpark...just click my name.

Autumn said...

I wonder if it's trust or if it's our human nature to not let go and let God. Either way, I'm glad God is patient and understanding!

Living Life said...

The Psalms are by far my favorite book in the Bible! Keep the faith!

SweetMarie said...

I really like this post! It's beautiful and a wonderful reminder. :)
Marie

Sharon said...

Ah, Betty - you're preaching to the choir here. Trust is my biggest spiritual battle, too. Even though, as you said, I DO trust God in my heart of hearts. It's just so difficult to hold on to that when life gets hard.

Thank you for sharing those wonderful Scriptures. Many of them are my favorites, too.

GOD BLESS!