a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, April 20, 2012

Review


As part of the Tyndale Blog Network, I'm reviewing Named By God by Kasey Van Norman. As part of agreeing to read the book in its entirety and giving an honest review about the book on my blog, I was provided a free copy of the book.

I had not heard of Ms. Van Norman prior to reading this book, but after receiving the book and reading about her on the back cover of the book, her passion is to reach those who are far from God and to ignite a spiritual flame in those who already know him.

Ms. Van Norman writes with the perspective that each of us is given a new name by God when we accept Jesus as our Savior, which is backed up by several scriptures from the Bible.  We will not know that new name necessarily this side of eternity but when we meet him face to face and he gives us the new name chosen by him for us, it will be a glorious time. Examples of people this side of eternity that have gotten new names are Saul to Paul and Simon to Peter.

She also does say though that each of us are named by God just by the very fact of who we are in his eyes and how he looks on his creation and on those that have put their faith in him. These names include beloved, free from sin, victorious, safe, healed amongst others.

Her premise is that we can be healed from our past, that everything that happened to us, whether it be something that we had no control of or something we allowed to happen or something we initiated in the case of sin, we can be forgiven about, we can ask God to heal us from and we can put the past behind us and go boldly into our present and our future knowing who we are in God's eyes.

In her early teenage years she had a traumatic event happen to her that took years for her to heal from emotionally. but down the road she was able to help someone else deal with something similar and she came to see that God was able to work that to good to help others.

She also committed a sin against her husband and, of course, against God that shook her to the very core when she "came clean" with it and confess it. Though it was a sad, dark time in her life she came to see her husband's forgiveness as well as of, course, the forgiveness of God when she asked for it and also that although that sin happened, she could learn from it and grow from it rather than get stuck in it and not move forward in her relationship with God.

She used biblical people also used by God in their walk and their struggles as well as their victories. She gave practical advice on how someone can heal from their past, not get stuck in their present, but move to a victorious life in Jesus, including spending time with him in prayer, attending church, serving at church, etc.

My thoughts, I enjoyed the book. It confirmed thoughts I already had and had already been taught by others or read myself in the Bible. For someone who is struggling with their relationship with God or wondering if they are even loved by God, this book would definitely help them in defining who they are in God's eyes as well as give them steps they can take to draw closer to God as well as to help themselves deal with their past. If one did follow her recommendations in the book and commit themselves to spending time in the Bible, praying to God, seeking him daily and spending time with him daily, serving others, one's walk with God would deepen.

As a book to use in adjunct to one's daily time with God, I would recommend it.

17 comments:

Tracy Makara said...

Very well written review! Your style really gives a good idea of what the book is about. :)

Shelly said...

I read an article where she gave an interview and this book sounds good. Thank you-

Lynn Proctor said...

sounds wonderful--i know my husband would like it also--thanks

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

One thing about doing those reviews, it does open you up to reading things you wouldn't do otherwise. I always like reading them. It's nice to know something about a book before investing the money in one. Hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

Linda B. said...

Revealing riveting review of ripened redeeming relationships. You continue to amaze me with your refined reading.

SweetMarie said...

This is a great review! I like when people share their own life experiences. This sounds like a wonderful book.
Have a fabulous weekend!

Betty WSch. said...

I wonder if it's on Kindle? I'll have to check it out. Sounds good.

Nel said...

Great interview! Sounds like a really good book.
until next time...nel

Toriz said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Chatty Crone said...

Your lucky to be in there book club - sounds good. sandie

jack69 said...

Sounds like a good read. Also you did a good job of conveying that very thing.
Take care, hope the noise is abating!!!

Love sent from this side of the USA

Martha said...

Great review Betty. It sounds like a wonderful book. I can't wait until the day comes when I have some time to just spend a little time relaxing and reading again. I suppose I could trade in my blogging time but that always comes first. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

Brenda Youngerman said...

You write an eloquent review!

Have a great weekend

JosephAlsarraf said...

That sounds like a good book! Great review! : )

Tia Bach said...

Sounds like a great read. I'm glad you shared it with us.

I'm loving A to Z (this is my first time!), and I'm glad you stopped by Depression Cookies. Hope to see you around more in the future.

Caroline said...

Sounds like a awesome read & I know I would enjoy it.
Thanx for sharing

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like a book one would read sitting on that bench with a view. Bright and sunny.