a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Aunt





I am the youngest of three. My sister is 3 years and 5 months older than me, my brother is 17 months older than me. My brother married first, me second, my sister last nine years after I got married. My brother had children early in life, a son when he was 22 years old, a daughter when he is was 24 years old, and at the age of 56 he is a grandfather x3 of an 8-year-old, 6-year-old and 3-year-old. I have two children (adopted), age 26 and 23; we adopted our daughter when she was 12 months old and our son when he was 6 days old. My sister had her first child in 1991 and her second in 1994.

I am an aunt x4, two of my brother's children, two of my sister's children. One boy, three girls. The boy is the oldest at 32, one of the girls is the youngest at 17 years old.

I am blessed.

Because of our frequent moves, I haven't really gotten to spend a lot of time with my brother's children who still live in the area where I grew up. Because my sister moved across the country (literally to the other coast) I haven't gotten to spend a lot of time with her two daughters. In fact I didn't see her second daughter until she was eight years old.

I love them all.

I'm proud of them all.

Each are unique and are gifted by God with special gifts and talents.

My nephew at 32 years of age is my mom's first grandchild. Truly a surprise to us, but not to God, that he was born with Down syndrome. I remember the sadness when we heard the news, but what a great gift from God he has been. He knows Scripture, not only does he know it by memory but he can explain to you what it means. He is an usher at church; he is loved by all. I can't imagine life without him.

His sister is truly another gift from God. Born 15 months after him, now at 31 years old, she is the mother of three young children, very active in their lives. Every Thanksgiving with the help of her church and countless volunteers she puts on a dinner for those that need a warm meal and fellowship on a holiday. She's been doing this for eight years and counting. They have absolutely no idea how many will show up but they never run out of food......that is a God thing indeed.

My sister's two daughters are so talented, one at 20 is finishing her third year at university, her sister at 17 is on the verge of graduating from high school, applied to four colleges, accepted to each and every one of them with scholarships offered. She is a talented artist and musician as her sister is.

I may not see all of them often but I love them all and am proud of them all and proud to be their aunt!

I am so blessed........

27 comments:

RoeH said...

You are indeed. And so are all those listed to have you as their aunt and sister. It's so interesting how the lines turn out. My sister had two sons who went into the 'left field' of life with such selfishness. She said once she couldn't wait to be 89 years old and look back and see why things happened as they did. But sadly she died at 63 probably due to stress. She now knows more than the rest of us. When posterity turn out to be of such service and goodness to human life and suffering, it is. . . again...indeed a blessing.

Rita said...

Yes, it sounds like you are indeed very blessed!! :):)
Have a wonderful Sunday!

Caroline said...

So very blessed , what a beautiful post.
Have a great day !!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Oh... I love this post. You certainly are a blessed aunt. Maybe some day you will write all these stories--in a memoir. Just precious!

Betty, thank you for stopping by my blog, and for your kind comment.

Good luck with your A to Z!

Doris

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is great to be an aunt. I have 2 lovely nieces and 3 nephews whom I adore too. I have been able to see most of them regularly and it is wonderful to see the great adults that they have grown up to be. Being an aunt is a blessing, I agree! Hope you have a wonderful Sunday there. It's raining here...April showers do bring May flowers!

Martha said...

You are certainly blessed Aunt Betty! Great way to kick off the challenge. A for Applaud :)

Sharon said...

I am aunt to 7 and they all call me Aunt Sharon. It make me feel old, but it makes me feel respected.

Being an Aunt is great and I agree - a blessing!

Shelly said...

You have every right to be proud of them, and I suspect they would say the same thing about you!

jack69 said...

As I grew up I remember very well my Aunts. Of course us Southerners in my family say 'ant' rather than the correct pronunciation. hahahah

Moving around does tend to make for a problem with ties, but they still grab hold. Yes you sound blessed and your sister sounds like a dear also.

Love from out here, GOOD POST!

Lynda said...

Your A to Z is going to be fun - - - just like today's blog where we got to learn a bit about your family! Will you feature your children one day on one or more of the letters? It's obvious you have a lot of love for the ones you mentioned today!
Thanks for the update.

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed your story of A for aunt. sandie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love being an aunt and I live away from all of my nieces and nephews too. I just visited with the ones in Florida. Hope to meet two whom I haven't meet yet at a family wedding in the Fall.

Katy@OurSimpleLoveStory said...

Visiting from A to Z challenge; what a sweet post! I'm not an aunt yet (brother not married, he is younger than me and 25), but I look forward to that blessing someday. In the meantime, I am an aunt to all my friends' little ones. :)

Funny in My Mind said...

You are definitely the best aunt.
Have fun with this challenge Betty!

Andrea said...

How lucky for all of those nieces and nephews to be so loved!

Barbara said...

How inspiring and uplifting to hear how the touch of faith has been passed on burning bright in your family! That is the Best Gift of God aside from our own salvation. ~ Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Ola Jaggers said...

I loved reading this... and I also love being an Aunt!!!

I'm also participating in A to Z, I would love for you to stop by: iluvtosave.net!

Nice to meet you!!
~Ola

JosephAlsarraf said...

Oh wow I didn't know your children were adopted. That's nice of you to take them in. I'm glad they found a nice home. Great first letter! : )

Sara Fowler said...

They are blessed to have you as an Aunt! Thanks for stopping by my blog and good luck with the A-Z challenge this month.

The Brown Recluse said...

I could see you being a very good aunt! Nieces and nephews are very special, aren't they? Yours sound especially special. :∙)

Renegades said...

It is fun being an aunt. I am lucky to live with in a few hours of my nieces and nephews. However, if my brother ever has one he's on the west coast.

SNC Quarter Notes said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I'm also an aunt to a niece and a nephew, and I love what they each bring into my life!

~Sara~

Ro @ Eat Live Move said...

All of you are blessed!

While I've never wanted kids, I can't wait to be an aunt. It's going to be a blast! Great post!

--
Ro @ Eat Live Move

Www.cdrvalleyfar.blogspot.com said...

Checking in on the A toZ.

I love being an uncle.

Toriz said...

Beautiful post!

Intense Guy said...

Ditto's Toriz's comment.

I have seen and met several Down's Syndrome people - and each one of them is precious and well regarded - none of them seem to have any of the vices that so many "normal" young adults have. Perhaps they are to remind us that a simple life of love and caring is what "it" is truly all about?

Sharon said...

What fun to learn more about your family!

I am the oldest of 3, a brother 5 years younger, and a sister 8 years younger. I am aunt to four very wonderful people - 2 nieces, and 2 nephews.

You're so right - family is a tremendous blessing. There is a bond between family members that is so very strong - even if they are separated by miles.

There's a bond in the Body of Christ, too.

Yes, I am blessed.

GOD BLESS!