Everyone knows we moved down here last January to take over hubby's parents' home since they were in assisted living, plus to help his brother with their care plus to give hubby opportunity to spend more time with his parents. Everyone knows he quit his very nicely paid job in order to do so and we made major cuts in our spending habits and by the grace of God every single need and then some were met over the intervening months. Everyone knows that from day one I wasn't happy about the move, but did go along with it.
So now we are down here for close to 15 months and the purpose that brought us down here is no longer that purpose. Sadly, both of hubby's parents passed. And while it is still nice that hubby is close in location to his brother, as the affairs of the estate continue to get settled, his brother really doesn't "need" him like he "needed" him last year when there were so many overwhelming things going on.
So we are faced with this dilemma of what to do for our next step. I feel we need to take a next step, I just don't know what that next step is. I've been praying about it.
What we do know is this:
Almost since we moved down here, hubby has been looking for a job and diligently filling out applications which has only yielded him one interview in 14 months. So I'm wondering, should we take the focus off him looking for jobs in his previous field and direct it somewhere else because obviously this particular plan is not working. He is close to 60 (one year shy of it) and his years of experience, while beneficial for some things, is "killing" him for the jobs he's applying for, yet the only ones out there. He would be content to do something simple without the stress of things yet he can't convey that to potential employers that he's not out to steal anyone else's job because he never gets a chance to get called for an interview.
He's been trying to build up a teaching guitar business and that has been rocky at best. There are good months and bad months. Its all based on the economy and everyone knows how that is going. Music lessons are a disposable commodity compared to paying the mortgage or putting food on the table. Its not the best win-win situation.
So what are our options?
He could retire and say "okay, I'm done with the rat race". And we could make it work until he could take early retirement with Social Security at age 62 at a reduced rate. But he doesn't really want to be officially retired. He still wants to work for a few more years.
He could go back to school and get retrained for something else. But what? He's thinking about, I'm praying about it.
Like I said before, I know we need to take a next step, even if we just agree to wait and talk about the next step a few months from now. But nothing is working that we've been trying so far. Maybe it is a lesson in patience. I don't know. I just know I feel stalled right now.
Then there's the thing. Do we want to stay in this house? Its not the house either one of us would have picked out with the design. So do we sell it and find what we want? And where would that be and how can we think about taking on more debt if he is not working steadily? Do we want to stay in the area? It is nice to be closer to family but honestly we don't see family a lot so is that a consideration down the road? The weather is "perfect" here and I can't imagine moving some place cold with snow where we would have to worry about slipping on ice or shoveling snow.
So, so many things on the table. So many considerations.
I just feel we need to take that next step........
whatever it is.........