a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, March 16, 2012

how I spent my blogging break

In an effort to keep this short and sweet (which I'm sure won't be short, but hopefully sweet), I'm going to lump this update in categories; the dog (Koda of course), the house, the kid (son), work (always an adventure), Facebook (evil) and future blogging (its all good).

First, but not least, is the dog. Koda's doing fine. Hard to imagine a year ago this time he was starting his chemotherapy and had just got diagnosed with diabetes and we were fighting the insulin shots with him. He's spunky and continues to fiercely guard the backyard, protecting us from those birds that seem to invade our yard continually.

The house. What can I say about the house other than progress has been made but progress continues to need to be made, but I think hubby and me are tired of it all. We've done so much and have eliminated so much but there is still so much to do. We have gone through so much paper and have shredded a forest of paper only to find more paper that needs to be gone through and shredded. We are at the point of things to go through and sell or dispose of that I'm out of my expertise on figuring out what might be of value and what might not be. Hubby's parents enjoyed Native American art; I've researched artists, etc but can't get a clear answer of what something may be worth. Same with some of the crystal they had and some Hummel figurines they had from the 1950s. So for those items that I'm at a loss about we are going to contact an estate liquidator to help dispose of them. We might get pennies on the dollar, but it might be more than if we tried to sell things ourselves. I have also realized this whole mess of the house has consumed me in one way or another for the last 15 months and it is time to re-focus my priorities and my time. So I'm taking a break from it for a bit and doing something I truly enjoy doing, returning to blogging and my dear friends here (you guys, love you all).

Son moved back in at the end of January. We were anticipating it, it is a good thing but the first few weeks were a bit of a struggle. He brought the majority of things he had moved out with a year prior. We were packed to the gills the first few weeks, almost like when we first moved down here in January 2011.  Thankfully we had two successful garage sales and cleared out a lot of stuff and have breathing space and walking space here again. I do enjoy him around, I know it will be short lived, a year or a little more at the most if his plans work out. To respect his privacy, won't talk much about things but his relationship with the girl he lived with is very rocky and I'm not thinking it will survive despite the best intention. You guys know I only want God's best for each one of them......I'm thinking neither one of them is God's best for each other. But break ups are hard to do and I know it will affect all involved.

Needless to say, Koda is happy to get his "boy" back.

Work. Still on mandatory overtime of an hour a day over and above my regular eight hours. That wouldn't be so bad if I wanted to work that extra hour but some days there are things I'd rather do, but one does what one needs to do to keep employed. We got a few new accounts at the first of the year and high volumes with the other accounts so it created a perfect storm of too much work and not enough employees. Supposedly they are hiring more people so I hope the mandatory overtime will dissipate soon and become a choice when it is offered. We are three weeks into this of mandatory overtime, so we will see.

Facebook. My gosh. One can spend all day on there playing games if one chose to. I discovered Word With Friends. Love it since it is so close to Scrabble which is my favorite game. I have one friend I play against from church. She's an expert at that game. I'm at 150 points at a game, she is at 350 points, enough said. But I'm learning her techniques, one day I will win her.........And then there is Bingo Bash........Like I said, Facebook, pure evil......

Future blogging. I'm back but I just don't seem to have enough hours in the day to get everything done. I'm still struggling a year later to get some type of routine with having hubby home as opposed to going to work a 8 to 5 job like he used to do and I had more free time. I feel the minute I hit the floor in the morning I'm constantly on the go until after eight in the evening and am always struggling to get what needs to get done plus reading blogs. I'm going to do my best to keep up with you guys but I realize I'm going to fail and miss a day or two or three, etc, but what I have learned this time around on my blog break is I really do enjoy blogging and I really do miss it when I'm not blogging. I like the connections and friendships made and sharing life together. I have lots of great posts running through my head which I look forward to writing in the days ahead.

All in all, its good to be back among a really great group of friends! Thanks for all the welcome backs!! You are all so very dear to me!

21 comments:

jack69 said...

Whoa Betty, BIZZY BIZZY BIZZY time out there ont he other coast. Thanks so much for the update. To say it was tough would probably be an understatement, but we (the audience) are glad to have you back. Missed you of course but knew you were SNOWED UNDER figuratively speaking.
Love from this side of the USA.

Shelly said...

You were missed! How busy you've been. I'm so glad you didn't give up blogging. I, too, have been thinking about giving it up because of so many things to do, but I'm sticking with it for now. There's just too much good in it.

Sharon said...

I missed you and your blogging and I missed Koda, Nice to see you again!

I am still in phase 'once in a while' but better than nothing and easier than too much.

XXX

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd miss my blogging to much to ever stop. I know that someday my computer will get old and I'll be left without this wonderful resource so while I have it I'll be making use of it. One thing about my retirement is that what I have is what I get...no room in my budget for any replacements. Happy to hear that Koda is doing well and guarding the back yard and so very glad to have you back again!

Rita said...

Welcome back. Glad Koda is doing well. :)

Jeanie said...

It it so good to see you back here Betty. It is also really good to her that Koda is doing so well.
It sounds like you have made some good progress with all you had to do. I hope the work schedule will improve soon so you can have at least a little time for yourself.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Wow, sounds like alot of work with the cleaning and everything. I know how you feel about not wanting to work that extra hour, I work for my dad now and he makes me go to work on Saturdays and sometimes I think i'd rather be home this is not worth it.

Glad your back, hope you can find sometime to make more posts! : )

Lana said...

Welcome back. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

Brandy@YDK said...

welcome back. i miss blogging too but like you said there are not enough hours in the day. you've had a lot go on. Glad koda is still doing well.

ADB said...

Welcome back to the world of blog!

Big Mark 243 said...

While I can imagine how frustrating it is sorting through your home, just think of it as building your home as you did when you first got married...

Son being home... and safe has to be a great relief. Hope everyone enjoys each other company!

Good to see you are back to blogging... and I am looking forward to hearing more about Koda and your perspective..!

Betty WSch. said...

I´m so glad your back! Don´t worry about commenting and stuff, just share your life with us. You are such a dear person and I hope you enjoy your blogging time again.

Glad to hear Koda is doing good. He sounds like our Nico, always chasing the birds.

Robyn :) said...

So glad you are back!!

rmslil said...

Love that you are back. SInce we are still trying to sort through my grandparent's stuff,the estate liquidator did not work out for us. Go to consignment shops and antique shops. We have done Craig's List and The Trading Post. Good luck!

The Brown Recluse said...

haha! :::Facebook is pure evil:::

I've been playing Scrabble since I was a kid...Sister Gina is like your church friend...she is nearly unbeatable. I know what you're going through there!

I HATE mandatory OT! Bless you! (I don't hate it so much when I'm getting paid, though.)

Koda is all finished with chemo, isn't he? I know he loves having his boy back.

Definitely time for a refocus...I'm happy that you are solidly on the road towards that end!!

Welcome back, my wonderful Friend.

Toriz said...

Welcome back!

Debbie V. said...

Nice to hear your "voice" again :)

Sharon said...

YAY!!! You're back!

I couldn't be happier!

It was a real treat to catch up with you on your life. Sounds like you've been super busy, Betty. Lots of changes, lots of challenges. But, the one thing (among many) that I love about you is your upbeat spirit.

You always inspire me to learn to roll with my own punches!

GOD BLESS!

Jim said...

Nice to have you back, C'sMom ~~ Glad to see you back and your reports seem pretty good. I know you enjoy having your son there. We enjoyed have our kids here, all of them (five) at one time or another.

Clearing out a house is hard too as you found out. We did Mrs. Jim's mom a step at a time, first to downsize into an apartment then to the nursing home, then Heaven.

I over did myself with blogging also and have 'slowed down' but it is hard to stay that way.

What I did was to not try to post every day. Most of my readers couldn't come that often anyway. I did pick up a Thursday meme on the P&P Place but that is pretty fast.

Be good to Koda. Our Adi decided first to walk on three legs and got shots for that with a maintenance shot every month still. Then she went on two legs. Note, I didn't say she walked on them. Now is on pills now and is better but still not doing so good.
..
BTW, I went through comments, I don't through any away, we've been enchanging comments since 2009. Mostly were concerning 6WS.
..

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for filling us in. Skye is the same way with birds. She is a quiet dog but birds make her squeal! So happy to hear the Koda is doing so well. What a blesssing.
When my aunt passed away we had so much to clean out. She had so many lovely collectable items, especially plates & clowns. The economy had taken a turn for the worse and so many things that are truly worth money are so very low in price right now. I felt consumed also. Glad your back.
((HUGS)) to your son. I haven't tried words with friends but I also love scrabble! Post when you can, read if you have time. Remember that your friends understand and are here for you.

Intense Guy said...

:)

I'm glad you are back! And that Koda is doing well - he has had a miracle cure!

Perhaps son can help value things? Never know what talents might turn up -- he might be a natural Antique Roadshow-er.

You are back! You are back! Does snoopy dance... Words With Friends is a vice of mine... no facebook account - but I play as IntenseGuy. :)