a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, January 2, 2012

Happily Ever After - a book review


For my first book review for Tyndale, I chose Happily Ever After Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage by Gary Chapman. Dr. Chapman previously authored The Five Love Languages amongst other books. I had read The Five Love Languages and enjoyed his style of writing so I looked forward to reading this current book of his on marriage.

Dr. Chapman addresses the six most common problems that couples experience in their marriages which include fighting fair, negotiating change, managing money, raising kids, maintaining a healthy sex life, and getting along with in-laws.  Each topic is addressed separately in several chapters so that if one wants to improve their in-law relationships they could focus on that part of the book and glean valuable knowledge and advice from it without having to read the whole book. However, I would strongly encourage anyone to read the whole book regardless if they don't have issues on managing money, their sex lives, etc because the advice in each of these categories and the solutions to problems is worth reading about to make a good marriage better and to heal and restore a marriage that might be floundering.

Each chapter on each of the different topics ends with "assignments" one can do to work on that particular problem, whether they work on it with their spouse or independently of their spouse if the spouse is not willing to work on that particular issue. Dr. Chapman puts a lot of emphasis on praying to God too for help in identifying problems within specific marriages that need to be addressed and then how to address those problems.

I consider this book a proactive book that one who is newly married could read and avoid trouble down the road, taking steps to incorporate the advice he gives. It would definitely be something I would consider giving as a wedding gift.  It is also definitely a book I would recommend for anyone who is struggling with key issues in their marriage and want to improve their marriage.

In reading it, I gained valuable insight to help with some things that needed strengthening in my own marriage. I wish such a book existed in our early years of marriage; it would have helped immensely with some of the issues I encountered with my in-laws and would have helped me to be able to deal with them better so I could have had a better relationship with them. Sadly, I won't have that opportunity now, but I would definitely encourage anyone who has in-law relational issues to consider getting this book to read the advice shared by Dr. Chapman to help make the relationship be one mutually satisfying for all parties involved.

I would highly recommended this book to anyone who wants to improve their marriage.

In exchange for giving a fair honest review of the book on my blog, I received a copy of this book free of charge from Tyndale Publishing.

11 comments:

Shelly said...

I really did enjoy The Five Love Languages, so I'm glad to know this book is just as good. Thank you for sharing!

Karen said...

I love the books I've read by Gary Chapman (5 Love Languages, 5 love languages for kids, 5 love languages for teens)!

And I love your header photo!

jack69 said...

VEry good and to the point. Like the review. Something that young folk should do is find some solid advice on marriage. It is the most wonderful union when love is handled right, and miserable when we are both (or one) selfish.

Good one.
Love from Florida!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's great that you can get a book just for doing a review. Having good reading material helps too. I do love to read and can appreciate that. I think your review was very well done. Hope the 1st Monday of New Year is a great one for you.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Sounds great, I don't think i'll ever need to read it but, great review!
: )

Lynda said...

I agree with you that I wish I had known then what I know now! Dr. Chapman has written some excellent material over the years. Thanks for sharing this title with us.

Chatty Crone said...

I have not read either of those. Does it help? Sandie

Debbie V. said...

The Love Languages book made such a difference in our marriage about 10 years ago when we were really struggling. I've seen some of Chapman's videos as well and they were funny and helpful.
Good review - Even though things seem wonderful, there's always room for improvement marriage-wise.

Debbie V. said...

RE: ZipList- the BEST thing about this site is the ease "
clipping" recipes from any website and in creating a shopping list of things you need to have/buy to make the recipes you have chosen.

Intense Guy said...

That bench looks so inviting.

:) Having never been married or a couple - I suspect this book isn't for me... but it sounds like a really good read with some sound thoughts and thought provoking insights...

forever folding laundry said...

I love Gary Chapman - loved The Five Love Languages.
I'll add it to my 2012 reading list!

Happy New Year, Betty.
I pray 2012 is a wonderful one for your family!

-keri