a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, December 31, 2011

the word of the year

In 2010, my word of the year was trust. Trusting God no matter what, even if it didn't make sense at the time. I think I did increase my trust in God that year. In 2011, my word of the year was choice. I had the choice on how I handled situations going on in my life, whether I accepted them, rejected them, lived with bitterness, joy, etc. I didn't do as well last year with choice, it was a hard year with changes made, and I failed on a lot of things I should have done better with, but I can look back in retrospect and strive harder in the future.

The word for 2012 is SEEK.

Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.

What things? Our needs. God knows what we need. He created us. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows we need food, water, clothes, shelter. He made our bodies, he lovingly knit us together in our mothers' wombs.  It does not catch him by surprise that we get hungry, thirsty, cold, warm, wet, etc.

He knew we would need food and water to sustain us.  Look what he did to provide food for Moses and the Israelites in the desert. Manna from heaven, water from rocks.  Or with Elijah.  God provided flour and oil every single day for over three years so Elijah and the widow and her son could eat during a severe drought. (She was down to her last day's supply but Elijah told her to trust in God, share with him and she did and God provided daily the oil and flour needed).

God is more than capable in supplying our basic needs. Food water, clothes. He knows what we need.

He is telling us "Do not worry, I know you need them. Instead, seek, search for, go after what really matters.  Not physical needs, but the eternal.

Seek first - above all else.

God's kingdom - knowing God, spending time with him in prayer, reading his word.

and his righteousness - holiness, difference, set apart, don't live like the world, but live for God. Be loving, kind, compassionate, forgiving, merciful to all, friend or foe.  Help the poor, the least, the last, the lost. Further God's kingdom and don't worry. I will provide for you. You can count on me. I keep my promise and word. Trust me".

This new year, Lord, I'm seeking first your kingdom and your righteousness. I trust you will meet my needs and I will make the choice to put you first in my life in 2012.

22 comments:

The Brown Recluse said...

For what it's worth, I think you did great with choices, and you learned a lot, as well.

Seek is a perfect word for the new year! I should endeavor to do that same thing.

I think I'm going to love your views from the bench!

Shelly said...

Seek is a really good word, and something I'm sensing from the Lord myself for the coming year. I look forward to reading this new blog!

TARYTERRE said...

Your views from the bench are insightful, inspirational. Seek is a beautiful word. I have chosen the word HOPE for myself this year. May we both be blessed with a better year than last. Take care. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

JosephAlsarraf said...

That's a good word to pick, I think we should always seek the Kingdom and the righteousness of God everyday. I like the new blog. : )

Michelle said...

I'm going to enjoy your new blog. God bless you, and enjoy the first day of 2012!

Betty said...

I´m going to take this to heart and do some "seeking" myself. thanks for the good word!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've heard of a lot of people using a WORD for each year and I think that if I choose one, it would be PROMISE. All His promises are true. As you seek, so you shall find they say. Bless you in your new endeavor.

Bobbi said...

Beautifully put!

Deanna said...

I need to do a little soul searching. I'm looking forward to your new blog.

Deanna

Debbie V. said...

Happy New Blog!
My word for last year was RESPECT and I had such good results I'm tempted to use it again this year.

Robyn :) said...

That is a great word. I am still thinking of one.

jack69 said...

You will do Betty, that is for danged sure!
Good words.
Love from this side of the country,
Sherry & jack

Lynda said...

I LOVE your header pic - - - and love, too, your post. Seeking God and putting HIM first every day should be our priority. It will be a fulfilling year for you.

Belle said...

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God..." Seek and ye shall find. Wonderful words. He does know our needs and takes care of us.

Caroline said...

What a great word & I'm looking forward to following you.

Such a beautiful post !!!

Living Life said...

Well put Betty. And a great way to start off the 2012 year!

Brenda Youngerman said...

Happy New Year Betty,
I know that 2011 was a very difficult year with many had choices and paths that you didn't necessarily want to be on.... I hope that 2012 brings you more peace and happiness and you get what you are 'seeking'
Brenda

Chatty Crone said...

I've been thinking about seeking God too - and have been reading a great book about finding him. Being in His Presence! sandie

gracies tough journey said...

Happy New Year Betty

This is going to be a wonderful blog. Count me in as a faithful follower!

Toriz said...

I just wanted to let you know I came over! :)

DMarie said...

Hi Betty. Thought I would visit you on your blog. Wow, this is what I needed to read today. I look forward to following your blog this year. Happy New Year.

Renegades said...

I'm so glad to have found you. I was worried you'd fallen off of blogsphere and here you've started a great new blog.