a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

thoughts about Tim Tebow

We were watching the Denver/Pittsburgh game yesterday, anxious that Denver would advance in the playoffs. Yes we live in San Diego County, Charger terrority so to speak, but we have caught the Tim Tebow train. I truly admire his walk with Jesus which I truly believe to be genuine. There are lots of critics about him, there are lots of critics about Jesus. Enough said.

The game went into overtime. I was glued at the end of the couch, wondering what would happen, trying to understand the new rules for overtime games. The kick happened, the first play set up. Hubby literally said "I like Tim Tebow, but he needs a little more work as a quarterback" when the play began, Tim Tebow threw the ball, it was caught and the rest is playoff history to be replayed time after time after time. Awesome game!

Glad that game was won. Nice that one playoff game was at least won by Denver. Next week is the Patriots, that is going to be a tough game.....

I remember hearing about what Bill Maher tweeted a few games ago after Denver lost and Tim Tebow had a less than stellar game. I'm sure lots of you heard about it, won't repeat what he said. That's irrelevant.

I was doing some thinking about this and some Bible reading and these thoughts came to mind that I wrote shortly after that event two weeks ago:

Matthew 5:11
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
Bill Maher is not angry or upset with Tim Tebow.  Bill Maher is angry and upset about God.  He has so much hate, dislike against God and the concept of God that he has to spew words out against him regarding people who take a stand for God and live their lives honoring God, who try to walk the talk or live by the words in the Bible. There will always be Tim Tebows of the word until Jesus comes back. God will raise up men and women who are not ashamed of him and his word and will boldly go out living for him.  He will strengthen them and guide them and provide for them according to his perfect will. He will reward them in heaven for their boldness.
Matthew 5:12 says Rejoice and be glad because great is your reward in heaven for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Tim Tebow should rejoice and be glad that there are so many, including Bill Maher, who despise him. Tim Tebow is making a difference in the world by how he lives and how he is not ashamed of Jesus.  He was voted number one by others as someone they would want as their neighbor. That in itself speaks that his message is getting across to others and people are taking notice of God by how he lives.
What should he say to Bill Maher? Absolutely nothing. Let God deal with Bill Maher however he deems best.
Tim Tebow just needs to continue to shine his light of Jesus for the world to see and we need to pray for him to continue to do so and to continue on that straight and narrow path of Jesus. And we should rejoice and be glad because his reward in heaven, where it really matters, is a great one.
My intent is to pray for Tim Tebow and others who aren't ashamed of their faith in Jesus. 
And root come next Saturday when Denver plays Patriots. May the best team win, whichever it is. 

30 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I will have to come back here tomorrow to let you know how I felt... as you know, I enjoy the success that he is having and if it is only for this season, man, what a season he has had..!

Shelly said...

We are rooting for Tim AND praying for him for the very same reasons. Go Broncos (until they meet up with the Texans!)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don't follow football much at all but I did see the part about him being one of those that people would like to have for a neighbor on the news one night. Football stars, movie stars and any celebrity have a rough road to tow as far as the public goes. Seems hard for any one to live a normal life in those type of situations. I'll add him to my prayer list too.

Jeanie said...

Thanks for your support of our team. That was an exciting game.
It seems like the more criticism Tebow gets the better he does. It takes a lot of strength to live in the fishbowl he is now in.

Seriously Though said...

I enjoyed this. I didn't pay attention to Tebow even with two kids in school in Florida. Until my daughter showed me a you tube clip of him at a juvenile detention home. Oh my. It brought tears my eyes.

Intense Guy said...

I stopped watching Pro Football altogether when the Philadelphia Eagles signed Mike Vick to a contract. A man that relished killing dogs... what a role model.

Not to mention that the contract was for a ridiculous number of millions of dollars.

The Dallas Cowboys were known for their drug addicts, the New (Jersey) Giants for their players that shoot themselves in the leg...

Tebow is a breath of fresh air...

I was happy to see the less than "sterling character" "Big Ben" go down in defeat (even if the whole NFL thing is truly a meaningless waste of time and has no long term value or significance).

JosephAlsarraf said...

I don't know much about football. The only games I've watched have been the A&M and recently, the Texans games. I only like to watch if I have a team to root for. I didn't see the Bill Maher comment on Twitter but, I did see the Saturday Night Live one about him, they were making a joke about how Jesus always helps him win the game during the last quarter. I don't know much about Teabow's faith but, if he says he is a follower Jesus then I believe him. Great verse good luck with your next game! : )

gracies tough journey said...

Go Chargers!~~ With that said, there is nothing more appealing than a man that walks proudly with God in his life. So, grudgingly…but with much admiration for his courage, I hope he does well.

Parsley said...

I didn't know about this blog I think I only followed your previous one. Sorry about that. I love your posts!

jack69 said...

We do not follow football anymore, but in a world where the bad guy becomes a mentor, idol or hero it is refreshing to see someone who is a great role model.
Yep, i get sick, and a little mad, when he is made fun of. He knows it is just a game, and he is 'only' a Christian. He doesn't expect God to give him every win, because in the end it is just a game. But I sure am proud of him.

jack69 said...

I got carried away. I love your treatment of the subject and also the grace to not repeat whats his names stupid remark.

Love you girl!

Missy said...

What happened to a Korgi in Southern California???

Lynda said...

Tebow is the real deal. We need to pray for his continued excellent witness for Jesus! And pray someone doesn't set him up in the media trying to muddy his name. We are blessed to have such a great young person as a role model for many.

Living Life said...

That surely was some game! Truly amazing!! I was definitely rooting for the Broncos! HOwever, this weekend I will be rooting for my Baltimore Ravens!! Woot!

Chatty Crone said...

I love him too and I think he is the real deal - I just hate people making bets to copy him and making fun of him. Sandie

Renegades said...

I think Tebow is to be admired for not faltering in his faith when some are saying not so nice things about him.

Hiredman had a Tebow t-shirt back before he was so controversial and he continues to wear it now as we know more about this young man that isn't ashamed to be thankful.

SweetMarie said...

First I want to say I completely agree with Intense Guy. After the killings of dogs that man shouldn't have a place in sports any longer.

I think we need more Tim Tebows for our kids to look up to. What a Christian leader!

forever folding laundry said...

I'm a big Tebow fan, too!
It's SO awesome to see a young man be so
open and passionate about his faith.
I hope he wins it all. :)

-keri

Hollie said...

I don't even watch football or know anything about the game, but I have heard a lot about this man! Praise God for him as he is a light in a dark world!!!!

BTW, I just wanted to tell you I'm closing my blog down. I just feel it's time for a change. I'm sure you can relate to this. I may blog again at some point. If I do I will start a new blog. I'm going to still be around to visit you my dear friend! Thank you for always being there for me!! Love you!

Melanie said...

We've been cheering Tim Tebow on too! So nice to see someone who isn't ashamed of their faith in Jesus!
I don't really pay any attention to what Bill Maher says. I agree with you, let God deal with him as He sees fit!!
Hope you're having a good week. :)

Linda B. said...

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth." Romans 1:16

Included in our daily sports page- "Tebow passed for 316 yards. You've got to admit, it is an interesting total, considering 3:16 - John 3:16 - is one of the most famous Bible passages, and Tebow is such a religious guy."

Jane said...

I think Tim Tebow is a very talented guy who seems not to take it all to his head. He seems very grounded. My hubby loves him too!

Hollie said...

My new home:

http://mattieme.blogspot.com/

Donna B said...

I like Tim also...I think some of the Sports commentators and others are jealous and threatened by his great faith. I think some former athletes resent he is getting so much attention and did not come through the school of (literal) hard knocks as they did to received the attention and coverage he is getting. I admire him for being so strong in his walk with the Lord. It is so refreshing! I am sick to death of some of these high paid athletes who cheat on their wives, get in fights, shoot and kill people, drive drunk and make a negative name for themselves because their egos think they can do ANYTHING... My husband is thrilled, because now I WANT to watch football with him, "if" Tim is playing!

Sharon said...

I've got to be honest. I'm on pins and needles waiting for today's game. I have to believe that God has blessed Tim with success - to advance the Lord's own purposes. I feel like Tim is a humble and gracious witness, and I am thrilled with his success.

My son told me that in that last game Tebow threw for 316 yards, 10 passes averaging 31.6 yards per pass - and that 31.6 % of the television audience watched the 4th quarter and overtime. Interesting, huh?! John 3:16!

May the best team win - but I'm rooting for the underdog on this one!!

GOD BLESS!

Snowbrush said...

Well, Corgi, as you surely must suspect, I am most decidedly NOT a fan of Tim Tebow, whereas I just ADORE Bill Maher. It's always a delight when people as different as you and I can still be friends.

Tami said...

We have been Bronco fans since we lived in Colorado from 1985-88. We've waited a long time for Denver's time to come around again since the retirement of Elway, but we're excited about Tebow. All the hoopla about his faith has certainly advanced God's work by putting John 3:16 in front of alot of people. Even those who put down Tebow and don't believe he's for real, have to admit that God has accomplished quite a feat through Tim and his popularity.

I love the new blog - I'll be reading along with you on every post. Hope 2012 turns out to be a year of wonderful surprises and blessings for you.

Martha said...

As much of a huge football fan that I once was I have pretty much stopped watching too like Intense Guy - signing Michael Vick was the straw that broke the camels back in my book. It's sad that something I enjoyed so much was ruined, but it had been a gradual process watching all the corruption.

TARYTERRE said...

Only football we watch here is The Superbowl. This young fella Tebow sounds like a GOOD role model for the kids. There are so few role models out there for them to LOOK up to.

Sharon said...

Did you see the wonderful commercial from Focus On the Family during the game - the one where the children read John 3:16?

It was SO precious, and SO thrilling to see that testimony go out to such a wide audience!

And, though they lost the game, I just read that Tim Tebow has been given the starting quarterback position for next season!

GOD BLESS!